Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Judge told me to drop out of school (updated)

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM
  • 11 Replies

I can't believe this. My boss fired me back in August because she didn't like my hours of availability due to school (which hasn't been a problem for a year now). Well I had my unemployment hearing and the judge told me that school isn't a reason to quit my job. I didn't quit. Well the judge told me I should have just worked 9-5 and not gone to school, seriously?Now I still haven't found a job and no one's hiring. It's ridiculous. How do they expect people to get anywhere in life if they don't want you to go to school. My boss just didn't like me and this was  her excuse for firing me. I'm at the point where I'll take any job and if I have to quit school I will. Well so much for trying to provide a better life and doing what I need to. Oh and public assisstance won't help me because I'm in a school that's over one year (working on my B.A.). The system really fails.

Update: Should have said this before. I'm a speech therapy major so I can't go online or weekends. If I get offered a full-time job I'm going to stop school for now. I was per diem at my job so I could go to school. My boss didn't like me and would have fired me regardless, it was just her excuse and everyone knew it. I just don't understadn how a judge (someone who spent years in school) is discouraging people from going to school. Then people who don't want to do anything get welfare and I can't. Sorry just really stressed right now and nothing is going right.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jkleinman
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Wow.  That does suck.  I'm sorry.  Good luck.  I hope everything works out for you.  Have you thought about talking to your administrative advisor for some help with finding a job?  Maybe something on campus?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Perhaps what the Judge was saying was work full time, go to school part time. If you have children, providing for them should be #1, and schooling should fit in where you can. 

s.calahan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I attend most of my classes online and can do it after work at home, when the kids go to bed? Perhaps look into whether or not you can take some courses online?

A Loving and Proud mommy of 3... and also; Christian, Democrat (mostly), Birth how you want too (I had 3 C-Sections), Pro-Life, Pro-Death Penalty, Breast or Bottle as long as it's done with LOVE, WEAN by 1 year, Potty Train by 3, Pro CIO, Non-ATTACHMENT Parenting, Non- CO SLEEPING, Firm consistant disciplinarian, Get on the floor and PLAY WITH MY CHILDREN, Public School Supportive, Go GREEN where I can, Pro-Vaccination, Routine-Enforcing, AND PROUD OF THE RESULTS!  

GOBryan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Judges in their infinite wisdom are idiots. I don't want to get into the conversations with the ones we've dealt with. They live in glass houses and don't know reality if it slapped them in the face, so detached from life's problems.

lilklink83
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM

My sister cleaned houses while she went to school.  She would clean on the weekends and even in between classes.  She made her own hours pretty much which allowed her to do classes and be with her kids.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM

As hard as jobs are to get, some of the ones having the hardest time are college kids. I hear what you're saying...youre damned if you do, damned if you don't! Lots of goverment support, huh???

MrsGreenberg
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

That really does suck.  It is so hard to be a mom, employee, and student at the same time.  I only have a couple more months to go myself!  It was tough finding a job to work around school, but in the end I had to make a decision... school or work.  Which would come first?  For me it is school because my hubby can provide for us and work is "extra" so I can have experience in my field once I graduate.  On-line classes are a great option if they are available to you.  It's not the same as sitting in a classroom, but it offers flexibility.  Our system really is not set up for adults to better themselves.  It's almost like if you didn't go to college straight out of high school you are stuck.  I had to find creative ways to take some of my classes because they were offered only when I was working.  That was frustrating.  Again, on-line classes saved me more than once.  I hope it works out for you.  You'll find a way!

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Sorry but as an employer if you can't work the hours i have to give you, then its your problem you don't have the job with me. Not mine, and by rights I should not be penalized for it.

It sucks big time you're out of work and I'm sorry that you couldn't work things out with your previous employer,but companies do not HAVE to employ you and do not HAVE to give you hours that fit into your personal schedules.

I hope you find something soon.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Maybe the judge felt that jobs are so hard to come by these days that the job should come first.  I don't really know. 

seth.ethan225
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Do you get financial aid? I used to and I would make enough to buy what I needed- for that semester- or quarter. As long as you budget you can do it. It is tough though. also, do they have student family housing at you school? sometimes it is way cheaper and you are always at school- also what about working at the school you go to? Most Universities have childcare to help you out with- they are good and relatively cheap. Do not drop out of school- in the long run it will be better for you and your child. It is a struggle for the time being but worth it in the end. If you need to talk let me know- I am in the same situation- I am getting my masters, have 2 kids about to have #3 and I work part time waitressing. Hope this helped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)