Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can someone explain PAGEN to me please?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM
  • 39 Replies

sorry if i cant spell it correctly, and im sorry but i would rather not see the copy and pasted wiki definition. I want to know what it means to be pagen. ALOT of people in my neighborhood claim to be pagen but do not have any kind of description for me. I just want to know what it means! I am not trying to say it is good/bad/right/wrong, I just want to knwo what it means!

I'm Slow

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maciymommieof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM

me too.

Click the Pic..and have some fun!

Gypsyuma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Do you mean "Pagan"?

Well I just read the wikepedia definition, and I could not understand a frickin' thing it said.

So, all I can help you with is the spelling. lol

acissejessica
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

yes that is what i meant, and thats why i dont want the answer copy and pasted, i dont get it either

Quoting Gypsyuma:

Do you mean "Pagan"?

Well I just read the wikepedia definition, and I could not understand a frickin' thing it said.

So, all I can help you with is the spelling. lol

I'm Slow

lilklink83
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Well I can try to explain what little I know.  I'm a historian and the pagans I have read about were generally the european (i.e. Vikings).  I'm not quite sure if modern day pagans follow the same beliefs and rituals or not though.  First pagans are spiritual people who put a lot towards nature, you can pretty much compare them with the way Native Americans were before white man came.  Pretty much what wikipedia was trying to say in so many big words is that pagans believe in many deities (gods) not just one.  The Norse (Vikings) had two gods I'm sure you've heard at least once in your life, Thor and Odin.  Another common belief of pagans is reincarnation after death.  The pagans beliefs and rituals vary from place to place just like any other religion.  Human sacrifices were not uncommon in this religion and animal sacrifices were quite the norm.  I'm sure you would like to know more about the religion but it's kinda hard to describe it without going into great detail.  Really when it comes down to it a pagan from a christian point of view is anything that does not follow the guidelines of the major religions such as christianity, islamic, or judaism.

babyfat5
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:33 PM

There are a lot of different branches of paganism so there can be a lot of different definitions. Basically it is the belief of many gods but the main ones are The Goddess (or mother) and the GOD (father) everything is in balance in that religion. Many of the rituals can be seen in Catholicism the two religions do parallel in that aspect because the Ruler Constantine wove the two religions into eachother. His land was all torn up and at war over religion so he took the two predominate religions and pulled some rituals out of one and placed it into another and you ether went with it or he killed you.

I guess to break down some aspects

christian                         pagan

prayer                                 spells

golden rule                         karma

church oriented                  nature oriented

that is just a really really brief overview.

Raintree
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Well, in terms of 'neo' pagan practices (which would be those practiced most widely in the US today)- you're looking at an earth based religious practice that varies depending on type. The 'wheel of the year' is observed and there are holidays at certain times- solstices/equinox and occasionally in between. Most pagans refer to the 'goddess' or several gods/goddesses rather than one central god. Um... the word pagan is an old word that at it's conception was more like the modern word 'hick' than anything else. Today- obviously- it has different connotations. 

Some of the more prevalent pagan religions practiced today are asatru, druidry, wicca- and many just identify as 'pagan' or 'heathen'.

glitterteaz
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:28 AM

pagans do NOT sacrafice animals!!! Not all pagans worship gods or godesses either. Some pagans worship the sun and the moon solstices and natural elements. There is no book to bind to in paganism. Paganism is a free religion that respects all things that occur in nature.  It doesn't believe in taking without giving back. Paganism is not a occult religion either. Which happens to be a huge insult to us pagans!

marievegan
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM

The details don't concern me at all.This is just my opinion. God has always been there for me. When I was all alone I could count on God. When people talk about paganism, I pay attention about as much as I did when I took high school Geography.

glitterteaz
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Ditto. We don't take you xtians seriously either.

Quoting marievegan:

The details don't concern me at all.This is just my opinion. God has always been there for me. When I was all alone I could count on God. When people talk about paganism, I pay attention about as much as I did when I took high school Geography.

CoeyG
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Quoting marievegan:

wow what a "good" christian.  Are you representing the so called "loving god"?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)