Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The never ending period

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

Alright ladies, I am need of some advice. Since having my tubes tied, almost 3 years ago, my periods have been heavier and longer then before. I am now on day 12!  It's not at all heavy, more like sporadic spotting, but still.

My doctor has suggested a procedure (I can't remember the name) where they would burn out the lining of my Uterus. I am Leary of that. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? I have had all of the tests, that my Doctor and I can think to have, nothing is "wrong" physically or hormonally. Why are my periods so off?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maciymommieof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Oh....that sucks....I can't help ya...I am Peri Menopausal right now and so my periods are sparatic...so I feel like I have a period every 2 months and it lasts for about 3 days....but the big SUCKEROO... is I PMS 24/7! WTF is up with that?Good luck momma!

Click the Pic..and have some fun!

Jenn3kids
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:52 PM

It's called an endometrail ablasion. I had it done 7 years ago because I had blood clots all the time. They said I may never have another period and if I did they would be lighter. I didn't have a period for about 5 months and then started having them again, but it's barely there - like barely enough for a pantyliner. It was great for me! I hope they figure out something to help you!

susiemae
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I bled heavily for a year after being on birth control pills that had shut down my ovaries. I had to go on a fertility drig to straighten it out.

AngelCodysMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I was supposed to have ti done. I bled for almost 50 days straight. Heavily. The doctor did a D & C. Which worked for a few months. Then when it got heavy again, it was worse. So they were going to do an ablation to see if that would help. They had to do another D & C before the buring and when they did, they perferated my uterus so couldn't do the ablation. When I woke up from surgery and the doctor told me, I asked how soon until I could have it done. He told me he's not going to now. We're going to see how long this D & C holds then the next step is a hysterectomy.

boy n girlMommy to Angel Skye & Cody Alexander. Step Mommy to Alexis Roseblowing bubbles

bupkie
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Its an endometrial ablation,  but there are different methods of having it done...  there is the Novasure procedure, cryablation (freezing), hyrothermal ablation (burning by hot water), and another with an electric wand type tool.   I had the hydrothmal ablation in November.   

Usually the Dr. gives you medication (Lupron) a couple months before, to prevent the build up of your lining, but my insurance REFUSED to pay for it (even though they cover it for this exact procedure and say so in writing on their web site) cough, Aet*a, cough.    So that the procedure is effective.   I now, have a heavy period, and cramping like crazy.... or I would be exercising... and getting on with my life.   But the heat from my laptop is helping a little while I curl up in the fetal position.   Sorry,  I'm venting on your post!  

Hydrothermal Ablation, normally helps and at least 70% of women don't even have a period!  and the rest have only very light (spotting) to normal periods- for just a couple days...   My dr. said the success rate is very good.    (Please don't let my case discourage you, but I included the info, so you can know others' experiences.... even if they aren't the norm.....)  

Bupkie.....

*** My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it. If it fits great! If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ***dancing

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM

An ablasion. All it did was buy me time until I finally bit the bullet and had a hysterectomy! Best thing I ever did! I was bleeding 20 days, half so heavy that I couldn't leave the house without clots falling and having to change my pants. It was ruining my life! To be wihtout the bleeding and all the crap that goes with it is a blessing!

Aldea
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I had the same problem , it started that way, then it I began to flood and gush for days.  I've had a hysteroscopy, went back on the pill till cancer was spotted.  After that was taken care of it all came back.  I don't wish to go back on HRT as I am prone to cancer.  The Dr suggested a hysterectomy, endometrial ablation, IUD.  But didn't want any of that.  I am so gently on my way to menopause, lol !  After having severe anemia and a blood transfusion a friend told me about Natures Sunshine  Capsicum stops the gushing immeditely, and the Female Comfort and the Menstrual Reg keeps things in control.  The herbals are far more better than the other stuff that may cause cancer.

night.magic
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I ended up having to have a complete hysterectomy(in 2004) after my tubal in 1998. I was having heavy non stop flo. It got so bad I couldn't leave the house.

EmoticonsEmoticons

liebchen-alma
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Hi Gretchen.

I can so totally relate to what you're going through. I bled like crazy for about a year and a half. My gynocologyst had me try Prometrium (a natural progesterone hormone), but it didn't help. I had a Novasure endometrial ablasion with a D & C about a week ago. I understand it could take a few months to really see if the procedure was a success or not. The cramping right after the surgery was painful, but a couple of Percocets took care of it. I'm at the point now where I went from using pantyliners for the first few days post-op, to now using a few regular sized pads each day. I have no clue what this will look like in a few months, but as long as I'm not gushing and passing huge clots (sorry, TMI...I know), then it'll be an improvement. I was fed up with bleeding more than half of every month, and never knowing if I was going to have to change my pants somehow at work, after an "eruption". I'm also seriously hoping this procedure will resolve the severe anemia I've been suffering with for too long. I have two kinds of fibroids, intramural and subserous. We're hoping they didn't interfere with the Novasure doing what it's supposed to do. I'm wondering if you've already chosen to have this procedure done. If so, i hope it was a success for you!

Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing!  - Mother Teresa   

glitterteaz
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Cousin had one it didn't help turned out she had fibroids and had surgery to have them removed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)