Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

do your kids have these? my sister called and told me she was disapointed that i bought her kid a barbie. I dont understand why. Bratz, I think those are plain ugly, but barbies? what the heck is wrong with a barbie?

*WARNING*BadMoodMommas!  <--click to join!

I'm Slow

by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
aidensema
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

my sister has also banned barbie from her house. she has two daughters and i feel she is being a hypocrite!! we played with barbies when we were young and we turned out fine! i dont know about the bratz dolls thou. i feel they are a little too "slutty", but they dont have bratz in israel so i cant ask my sister about them

CoeyG
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I had the original (1959) Barbie, black and white bathing suit, white open toed heels, ear rings, blue eye shadow, black ponytail with curly bangs.  I had one of the original cases for her she had different outfits, There was ONE basic doll and a world of garments.  I had a stewardess uniform as well as a nurses uniform and a variety of dresses, skirts/blouses.  I didn't play much with mine either, except to change her clothes and put her back in the case.   The Barbies of today are nothing like the original.  As I said before, they've turned her into a bimbo.

acissejessica
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I loved MAKING barbie clothes, but I didn't PLAY with mine, like dress them up and make them talk to eachother or anything, I just enjoyed making clothes!

Quoting CoeyG:

I had the original (1959) Barbie, black and white bathing suit, white open toed heels, ear rings, blue eye shadow, black ponytail with curly bangs.  I had one of the original cases for her she had different outfits, There was ONE basic doll and a world of garments.  I had a stewardess uniform as well as a nurses uniform and a variety of dresses, skirts/blouses.  I didn't play much with mine either, except to change her clothes and put her back in the case.   The Barbies of today are nothing like the original.  As I said before, they've turned her into a bimbo.

*WARNING*BadMoodMommas!  <--click to join!

I'm Slow

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I see nothing wrong with either one.  MY girls played with both and they are teens now.  Never made them slutty or anything.  Dolls do not influence kids I am sorry.  Kids influence kids, or parents influence kids. 

matofour
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM

THANK YOU!!

I used to say NO BRATZ EVER!  EVER!!  Then it dawned on me, that really, why does it matter?

That ONE bratz doll we have in the house (okay we have about 6), is not going to influence my daughter, and those bratz dolls don't give my kids their morals, I do.  My daughters have a wonderful female influence, me!  And I don't worry about some silly toy making my daughter turn into a slut!! 

People make such a big deal out of it, like playing with a doll once will turn their daughter into a stripper!

For what its worth, we went to see the new alvin and the chipmunks movie tonight, and some of the songs they sing in this movie, a little too grown up for my taste.  Also, at one point, and I don't remember what there is mention of pole dancing...and I don't remember what, all I know is that when we were out to dinner my daughter made her chippette doll "pole dance" on her soda straw!!  That to me is more upsetting than the bratzs dolls they have, and have ripped their feet off, stripped naked, and thrown in a box!

Quoting atlmom2:

I see nothing wrong with either one.  MY girls played with both and they are teens now.  Never made them slutty or anything.  Dolls do not influence kids I am sorry.  Kids influence kids, or parents influence kids. 

SunnyJoJo
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 12:00 AM
I love barbies! I think Bratz are ugly and I don't think they make them anymore due to a copyright or something.
annie2244
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I tried to not have barbies for my 2 DD's, but it was an impossible quest, they were a common gift brought to their bday parties. I think we own about 30 of them now, none bought by me. They are anatomically an impossibiity - if Barbie were real, she would be missing her lower ribs in order for her waist to be that small, and she would tip over from the out of proportion bust size. I did make a few feminist comments to my DD's about how girls don't actually look like that, and one doesn't want to dress in mini skirt and knee boots if one wishes to be respected for being smart, but they just rolled their eyes and turned back to their wardrobe selection. I did draw the line at Bratz. Too skanky. Uh uh. Now that they are 12 & 14, they are quite level headed & capable. I'm sure it was my feminist messages overpowering the evil barbie influence.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 1:24 AM

I don't see the need to have to correct your child on if that play toy were real. I have never once thought to make sure my son knew that if his GI joe doll was real... or if that stuffed Lion he had as a child were real.

I think average children who by the age of associating themselves with the fictional dolls and characters they play with are also of the age of realizing pretend and fake.

And if your child cannot distinguish between real life, cartoons, dolls, stuffed animals etc, then you have more to be concerned with than barbie.

It's called an imagination people. Its called Make Believe. Its called CHILDHOOD

annie2244
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Well, no, it's not an equal world in terms of social messages. Pole dancing chipmunks for God's sake!

The societal message to teen girls is one needs to wear eyeliner, tight tshirts and heels to attract guys. The message to teen boys is throw on a wrinkled tshirt, baggy jeans and finger comb your tangles and you're good to go. Little girls are given anatomically impossible miniskirt and boots wearing toy babes to emulate, Guys are not given toy Chippendale models with g strings.

The question is not can girls play with barbies and still grow up to be independent strong women, the question is do Barbies and Bratz, in their small way, support, foster and perpetuate the notion that women's worth is tied to their looks, which are societal messages so numerous, ingrained and accepted in main stream media and advertising that it is impossible for any one mom to prevent her daughter from being exposed to that message. So - in one of the few areas one can make a choice in the matter - do you bring the plastic boobalicious babe into your home and hand it to your daughter - or do you take a small stand against the overwhelming tide. That is the question.

fallnangel3
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 2:47 AM

My girls have barbies, bratz, Disney princess dolls.  I see nothing wrong with any of them.  I do have to mention that I find the bratz dolls ugly, but they like them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)