Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We're all out of Africa - So why is there so much racism?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was watching CBC the other night and it was about Genealogy and DNA.. the scientists were saying that when they look at our DNA we are all related somewhere down the line and in fact we all originated from Africa.. every one of us. I just did a quick Google search and found this article.. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Skulls confirm we're all out of Africa

LONDON (Reuters) - An analysis of thousands of skulls shows modern humans originated from a single point in Africa and finally lays to rest the idea of multiple origins, British scientists said on Wednesday.

Most researchers agree that mankind spread out of Africa starting about 50,000 years ago, quickly establishing Stone Age cultures throughout Europe, Asia and Australia.

But a minority have argued, using skull data, that divergent populations evolved independently in different areas.

The genetic evidence has always strongly supported the single origin theory, and now results from a study of more than 6,000 skulls held around the world in academic collections supports this case.

"We have combined our genetic data with new measurements of a large sample of skulls to show definitively that modern humans originated from a single area in Sub-Saharan Africa," said Andrea Manica of the University of Cambridge's Department of Zoology.

Manica and colleagues wrote in the journal Nature that variations in skull size and shape decreased the further a skull was away from Africa, just like variations in DNA.

The decrease reflects the fact that, while the original African population was stable and varied, only a small number of people embarked on each stage of the multi-step migration out of Africa. This effectively created a series of "bottlenecks", which reduced diversity.

The highest level of variation in skull types was seen in southeastern Africa, the generally accepted cradle of mankind.

The Cambridge work also suggests in-breeding with other early humans, such as Neanderthals, either did not happen or was insignificant. That is in contrast to recent suggestions that such hybrids may have been fairly common.

"We're not saying there was never a single mating between a homo sapiens and a Neanderthal. But I can say, very confidently, that whatever the product of that mating was, it didn't breed back into the population," Manica told Reuters.

Chris Stringer, a palaeoanthropologist at the Natural History Museum in London, said the new research was important for indicating that modern human diversity was derived entirely from Africa rather than coming from inter-mixing elsewhere.

'I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.' -Stephen Roberts

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Verarose
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I've always believed in Adam and Eve, as every one's original parents, making us all related from a single point.  It's doesn't matter to me where the Garden of Eden was, or where they where chased out of it into. 

Racism exist in ALL races.  Someone has had a bad experience here, someone is angry about this or that, someone wants to feel better about themselves.  There are many reasons people are racist.  Somewhere along a line a group of people separated from another group and they no longer consider themselves family or the same race/culture.  Think of that distant or close relative who is differnt than everyone else in your family.  That person who went another way.  Everyone thinks they are strange, maybe for good reasons, maybe not.  That person has a family and raises those children differently, soon that line of the family is no longer considered family anymore. 

Racism has never been about being related or not.  It's never been about where we originate from, but what we have done to make us differnt.

margroc
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:45 PM

IMO racism comes from ignorance about other cultures and fear.

A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate.  - Pierre E. Trudeau

Lil_ol_me9306
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I second this.  I feel that education before hate taints the heart of a child is key.

Quoting margroc:

tericared
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Quoting margroc:

So very true....

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)