• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your son do this?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM
  • 30 Replies

My son is 4 years old.. and he's been doing something lately that bothers me. If he is just running around the house in his undies (he hates pants lol), he plays with his peepee.... alot. It really bothers me. It seems like everytime I look at him he's playing with it. I've tried telling him that its gross, that it will fall off (lol), and just telling him to stop. I thought men didn't get obsessed with that certain part until later in life!! I literally have to make him put pants on to stop him from touching it... Is this normal?

pregnancy due date

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gretchen2876
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM

My 4yo does that too. I tell him that if he wants to do that, go somewhere else. That other people don't need to see him doing that.

Your mind is like an umbrella in the rain, if it's open, it works. If it's closed..............

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I have two boys.  One doesn't bother with his and the other constantly has his hands down his pants.  He always has, ever since diapers. 

MommyToEthan
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM

yes it's normal.     i personally dont make a big deal of it....  when my son does it, i just simply tell him to get his hands out of his pants. 

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

Tazz2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM

very common and the more attention you give him about it, the more attention he'll give himself LOL  my advice is to tell him that is something he does in his room, you don't want to tell him it will fall off or give him a negative connotation with his body

supermom3806
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:27 AM

My son will be 4 in March && he's been doing that since he's been 3. He also hates wearing clothes  so he'll run around the house in either pull-ups or underwear. He's also started to go pee on the floor. He use to stand at the top of the stiars && pee down but now its only in his room. I don't know why he does it all I know is I'm tired of shampooing his room.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Yes my son did this. I wouldn't tell him its gross or that it would fall off. He's curious its like his fingers or his toes, except he discovered those years ago.

instead I told him those are his PRIVATES and we only touch our privates when we are alone and in private. And that no one should touch his privates but him .

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Completely! My son started touching his at 6months and has not let go since. LOL He's almost 9 now. We had a moment when he was around 3. He was in his room crying and would not tell me what was wrong so I sent daddy in to find out. He told my husband that he had been playing with it for 3 days and it was hurting. My husbands advice was " Well quit playing with it then." My son responded with " But it FEELS good." LOL Don't make a big deal out of it or it will get worse.

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Oh yes, it is very normal! Just tell him that it is something he only can do in private. My son is 5 and has been doing it since he figured out he has one!

Domzmom2005
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:31 AM

No you are not alone, my son does it too. We told him that if he wants to do that he needs to go into his room and do it...we also make him wear pants or shorts around the house now, and he has pretty much stopped. We still have to remind him sometimes, but since he doesn't like going in his room he doesn't play with it

baby

baby

RyansMommy6407
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I wouldn't make him feel gross about it... It's natural for a boy to play with his body (even girls do this) As long as he doens't do it out side the house, than it's perfictly normal. He's not doing it in a sexual way, he's only 4. Just let him do it, even if it makes you uncomfortable, the worst you can do is make him feel like he's being bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)