Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

which computer is best? Comparisons included.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

ILL BE USING THE COMPUTER FOR SCHOOL, MUSIC, AND PHOTOS.

Color Category Red  Purple 
Processor Brand Intel®  Intel® 
Processor Intel® Core™ i3  Intel® Core™ i3 
Processor Speed 2.13GHz  2.1GHz 
Battery Type 6-cell lithium-ion  6-cell lithium-ion 
Display Type High-definition widescreen LED backlit with Ultrabright technology (1366 x 768)  Widescreen LED backlit (1366 x 768) 
Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) 15.6"  14" 
System Bus 1066MHz   
Cache Memory 3MB on die Level 2  3MB on die Level 2 
System Memory (RAM) 4GB  4GB 
Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3  DDR3 
Hard Drive Type SATA (5400 rpm)  SATA (5400 rpm) 
Computer Hard Drive Size 320GB  500GB 
Optical Drive Double-layer DVD±RW/Blu-ray Disc/CD-RW  Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW 
Optical Drive Speeds 4x DVD+R DL; 4x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 4x BD-ROM; 24x16x24 CD-RW  Drive speeds not specified 
Direct-Disc Labeling No  No 
Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader  Yes, digital media card reader 
Graphics Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD  NVIDIA GeForce 310M GPU 
Video Memory 128MB (dedicated)  256MB (dedicated); 2007MB total available 
TV Tuner No  No 
MPEG Yes  Yes 
Built-in Webcam Yes  Yes 
Modem 56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps. 
None 
Networking Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)  Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Fast Ethernet LAN (with RJ-45 interface) 
Wireless Networking Wireless-B+G+N  Wireless-B+G+N 
Bluetooth-Enabled No  Yes 
S-Video Outputs None  None 
Additional Audio/Video Connectors HDMI  HDMI 
Audio High-definition support  Intel® High Definition Audio 
Speakers Internal   
PCMCIA Slots None  1 ExpressCard/34 
USB 2.0 Ports
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports None 
Parallel Ports None  None 
Game Ports None  None 
Laptop Weight Standard (more than 5.5 lbs.)  Ultraportable (5.5 lbs. or less) 
Battery Life Not available  Not available 
Pointing Device Multigesture touchpad with lock  Multifinger electrostatic touchpad 
HDMI Output Yes  Yes 
Blu-ray Player Yes  No 
Operating System Platform Windows  Windows 
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Included Software Adobe Reader; Microsoft Works and more  Sony Creativity Suite; Microsoft Works SE 9.0 and more 
ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes  Yes 
BBY Software Installer No  No 
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To   8GB 
Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited  1 year limited 
Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited  1 year limited 
Product Height 1.5"  1.5" 
Product Width 14.7"  13.4" 
Product Weight 5.8 lbs.  5.3 lbs. 
Product Depth 10.2"  9.2" 
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mrsmoore02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Neither.  Go with a Mac.  I use mine for EVERYTHING including school.

hootowl21
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I wish i could but i dont have a $1,000+ to spend right now and i need it now.

Quoting mrsmoore02:

Raintree
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM

You'll probably end up spending that much and more in the time it takes to 'go through' a mac. Seriously. You get what you pay for in this case.

Quoting hootowl21:

Quoting mrsmoore02:

mrsmoore02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM

What Raintree says is true.  I went through 2 laptops in about 2 years.  Both of them developed problems within the first 6 months of ownership.  I've had my mac for a year and a half and it still runs as good as the day I brought it home.

That being said, if I had to pick something else, I would pick the one with the best warranty so when it DOES break down, I'm not having to pay a bunch of money to get it fixed.  I always had good results from Dell's warranty.  If I had to go back to a PC, it would be a Dell.

Quoting Raintree:

You'll probably end up spending that much and more in the time it takes to 'go through' a mac. Seriously. You get what you pay for in this case.

Quoting hootowl21:

Quoting mrsmoore02:

klatshaw
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Personally I have an ACER and it works great! I do EVERYTHING on it. I've had it for 2 years now and when I ever decide to get a new one, it, too, will be an ACER. Love 'em!! (And the price was unbeatable!!)

Raintree
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM

We have a G5 tower and a macbook pro. The tower was a reconditioned and we got it.. I want to say... 4 years ago. Before that we had a cube- but my husband needed something faster/bigger (he's a graphic designer/art director) Not one problem yet. The macbook pro was new and even though it's primarily used by myself- it hasn't had a problem either. Going on year two. I have one of the first iPod nanos and its still going strong. We allow the kids to use my husbands old iMac- and that works well for them. It's at least 11 years old. It had to go in to update memory schtuff once, but that was it.

I'm a little stoked about the tablet coming out this week....

Quoting mrsmoore02:

What Raintree says is true.  I went through 2 laptops in about 2 years.  Both of them developed problems within the first 6 months of ownership.  I've had my mac for a year and a half and it still runs as good as the day I brought it home.

That being said, if I had to pick something else, I would pick the one with the best warranty so when it DOES break down, I'm not having to pay a bunch of money to get it fixed.  I always had good results from Dell's warranty.  If I had to go back to a PC, it would be a Dell.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting hootowl21:

Quoting mrsmoore02:

aridattebayo
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I agree w/ all who said "get a mac" the things are really reliable and great if you're doing graphics work. Pricey, yes. but EXCELLENT quality. In the few times I've used Mac/Apple products I have never had any issues.

sadly, when it comes to PCs (dell, hp, w/e) my only rec is for you to find someone to build you one custom if you want a desktop (cheaper than ordering from Dell - usually) and get Linux. ;) (Linux, btw, is FREE & there are MANY free graphics/music programs out there that are pretty close to their costlier equivalents... that ALSO run on Macs, and may possibly run under Windows.)

I'm actually getting an Asus eee PC (a netbook) this week (they are relatively cheap, very portable computers), that'd be my only other rec when it comes to laptops.

one very metal mommy to a mini-metalhead - Arianna (1/15/07) \m/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)