Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mad about Haiti donations

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM
  • 48 Replies

I see a few people, here and elsewhere online, that are angry that Americans are donating to Haiti. The usual excuse has either something to do with there being needy people in America, or some random spout about Katrina.

So, my question is this. If you are angry about Haiti, because we need the help here, please tell me a couple of things. How much of your time and money do you donate to needy Americans? What have you done to help the Katrina victims? If the answer is nothing, then what right do you have to complain?

Your mind is like an umbrella in the rain, if it's open, it works. If it's closed..............

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
margroc
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I've wondered that myself.  Those that only think that the US should help themselves and no one else - are they willing to refund the millions upon millions that were raised to help the US during Katrina and after 9/11?

Those that say there are too many people without in the US, are they doing their part and participating in programs to help the poor?  Are they using their vote in a way that will support programs to those in need?

spunky946
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I'm behind you 100%.  Helping Haiti has become my passion so to speak.  I have donated my money and items that they need.  If I had some sort of training I would donate my time as well, but I am not a medical professional and would be a hinderance instead of a help. 

ColtsFan1912
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

dang i was going to post this!! lol.

I've wondered that too. I dont care where people chose to donate but to insult people who want to help Haiti right now is just crazy

CoeyG
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I'm not angry about those who choose to donate to Haiti, it is their money they have the right to determine where it goes.  However I do take exception to those who think I am "heartless" or in humane because I prefer to keep my charity dollars here in the U.S.

Elyce225
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Once again because Americans EXPECT other people to help them out at the drop of a dime. How dare someone not pay for an American who wasn't in any devastation but gives to those children who are dehydrating to death because they don't have a drop of clean water.

spunky946
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM

It's your money, you can obviously do what you want with it, but it's the people who think that we should not be doing anything at all is what bothers me. 

Quoting CoeyG:

I'm not angry about those who choose to donate to Haiti, it is their money they have the right to determine where it goes.  However I do take exception to those who think I am "heartless" or in humane because I prefer to keep my charity dollars here in the U.S.

margroc
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I don't believe anyone has said that you are "heartless" or inhumane.  I don't believe anyone has said that to anyone - at least not that I've seen.  I have seen some posters who are very defensive when posting that they are not donating to Haiti.

Quoting CoeyG:

A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate.  - Pierre E. Trudeau

Elyce225
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM

The funny thing is, the people who don't want to help out at all are mostly the ones (on here) who admitted to being on some type of welfare.

Quoting spunky946:

It's your money, you can obviously do what you want with it, but it's the people who think that we should not be doing anything at all is what bothers me. 

Quoting CoeyG:

margroc
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Oops, sorry - guess I've seen my first one.

A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate.  - Pierre E. Trudeau

margroc
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Perhaps it's not that they don't want to donate but that they cannot donate.  I would imagine if you were living on assistance there would not be a penny to spare.

Quoting Elyce225:

The funny thing is, the people who don't want to help out at all are mostly the ones (on here) who admitted to being on some type of welfare.

Quoting spunky946:

Quoting CoeyG:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)