Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Can I drive myself home from the hospital after having baby?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM
  • 40 Replies

I was just wondering if hospitals let moms drive themselves home after having their baby.... I'm probably not going to have a ride, and there's not busses/taxis out here.

The father can't demand that he be in delivery or see the baby can he?? I mean if the baby is with me the whole time - right??

by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamapaparazzi
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I would think so... the only thing the hospital checked on me was that I had a carseat.

Issa81
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I dont see why not I have known a couple women that have they had there children natural

CoUrtNEyLeE

Where do you live if I live close I would be happy to give you a ride

mom2mandjax

Probably not, at the hospitals in my area you can't drive yourself home after ANY inpatient stay. You should call the maternity ward at the hospital they should be able to tell you. Good luck.

The extent of American ignorance continues to amaze me

hbourne

You aren't supposed to drive for 2 weeks after having a baby..... At least that's how it is in PA.

ajmlaa
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:35 PM

when i left they wouldnt let me leave alone. i dont know if its the same there where you are. you need to ask

mamapaparazzi
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Seriously, though, what can they do?  It's your car, your kid, your life, if you want to leave and drive yourself home it's not like they can restrain you or something.  It may be against hospital policy, but that's all it is.  Unless I'm wrong and they do restrain you in your area, LOL.  I just can't see that happening... that would be weird.

Quoting mom2mandjax:

Probably not, at the hospitals in my area you can't drive yourself home after ANY inpatient stay. You should call the maternity ward at the hospital they should be able to tell you. Good luck.

flmommy76
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Quoting hbourne:

You aren't supposed to drive for 2 weeks after having a baby..... At least that's how it is in PA.

That's what I was told too.  This was in GA.

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Wow I drove the day I got home. My ex-husband was deployed and the girl who was helping me couldn't get me to the store so I packed up me, baby and 2 year old and drove to the store.

Jenn

Quoting hbourne:

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
oporb
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM

UG --- Im in Texas..... maybe I can get an aquaintance to get me..... I assume I'd be driving myself there and get my car stuck up there !!

I wonder if medicaid would cover a homebirth - problem solved!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN