Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As Young As 10 y/o...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM
  • 118 Replies

Not w/ my children or my grandchild! Thankfully my 2 sons are adult now but if they were still young I would never consent to this~

Planned Parenthood Pushes Intensive Sex Education for Kids as Young as 10surprise mini

Monday , February 08, 2010

By Ed Barnes   

FC1

A new report by the International Planned Parenthood Federation is advocating that children as young as 10 be given extensive sex education, including an awareness of sex's pleasures.

The report, "Stand and Deliver," charges that religious groups, specifically Catholics and Muslims, deny their young access to comprehensive sexual programs and education.

"Young people's sexuality is still contentious for many religious institutions. Fundamentalist and other religious groups — the Catholic Church and madrasas (Islamic Schools) for example — have imposed tremendous barriers that prevent young people, particularly, from obtaining information and services related to sex and reproduction. Currently, many religious teachings deny the pleasurable and positive aspects of sex." the report states.

Click here to read the report.

The report demands that children 10 and older be given a "comprehensive sexuality education" by governments, aid organizations and other groups, and that young people should be seen as "sexual beings."

"Young people have the right to be informed about sexuality and to have access to contraceptives and other services," Bert Koenders, the Netherlands Minister for Development Cooperation, wrote in the foreword to the report. It was his organization that helped fund the report.

The report argues that sex education should be "recast" to show sexuality as a "positive force for change and development, as a source of pleasure, an embodiment of human rights and an expression of self."

Much like a U.N. report released last August that advocated teaching masturbation to children as young as 5, "Stand and Deliver" has set off a wave of protest among religious and conservative groups.

Ed Mechmann, spokesman for New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, charged that Planned Parenthood was "trying to teach children sex without values and that sex is a matter of pleasure and done without consequences."

He said religions like Catholicism and Islam teach sex as part of a much bigger picture and that Planned Parenthood was trying to de-link sex from traditional values.

"It is part of an effort to get children to reject traditional values and accept a liberal American-European view," he said. "In many traditional countries — Catholic and Muslim — it won't work and should be seen as cultural imperialism."

Mechmann also charged that Planned Parenthood's report was compromised because it has a financial stake advocating the changes. "The difference between Planned Parenthood and us is that we don't make money off what we teach and say. They do. They make money off contraceptives and abortions," he said.

Michelle Turner, president of the Maryland-based Citizens for a Responsible Curriculum, said Planned Parenthood was simply trying to eliminate parental say.

"What are they trying to do? They are trying to eliminate the role of mom and dad in the family," Turner said. "For Planned Parenthood to decide that governments, private organizations and religious organizations should make decisions about kids' sexuality is just going too far."

"It is part of a bigger push to change the way we think about sex," she said. That sex is all about pleasure and there are no consequences. They are wrong. No matter how much we teach children, some will make mistakes. They will forget. And Planned Parenthood doesn't want to deal with that," she said.

"They see religious groups, especially those that counsel abstinence and waiting until marriage, as bad guys," she added. "We aren't."

Planned Parenthood said it was unable to comment because the report was issued by its European office and it was unable to contact them.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,585108,00.html

by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glitterteaz
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Because teen pregnency is soooooooooooo much more desireable!! eye rolling

mama_girl07
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Kids are doing it younger and younger these days. Do I think the schools should be the ones to educate extensively? Absolutely not. I think it is up to the parents to educate their children as far as they think their children can handle. Alot of kids are having sex as young as 11 nowadays.

carseatmama
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I don't think that "extensive sex education" is appropriate for kids, but basic knowledge about puberty and reproduction is important.  Many kids are starting puberty much younger today (around age 9 or 10).  Our pediatrician thinks our 9 year old is inching toward puberty and encouraged us to prepare him for the changes by talking with him about what will happen to his body.  How can you talk to a child about puberty without also discussing WHY they go through puberty?  Puberty is a confusing enough without shrouding it in mystery.  We are scheduled to take a parent/child class called "What's Happening to Me?" taught by a nurse at our local Children's Hospital with our son in April.

Public schools have taught sex ed in 5th-6th grade for decades.  Parents have the choice to opt out, but who does that benefit, really?  Parents think they are protecting their children from an adult world.  The truth is that kids are talking about sex much earlier than 5th or 6th grade.  I'd rather my kids know they can come to ME with any question and I will not judge them.  I want them to know I will always be honest with them.  Sometimes that means I have to answer uncomfortable questions.  But my kids are worth a little discomfort.  At least I know they will hear the truth.

tericared
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting glitterteaz:

Because teen pregnency is soooooooooooo much more desireable!! eye rolling

Of course it is.....And EVERYONE knows every parent teaches all this stuff at home and the kids are terrified of having sex till they are married....

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

nikkiJ86
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM

What's wrong with it? Kids are having sex at that age now. They NEED to know these things.

glitterteaz
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM

But that is just the point parents should do that but alot don't till it is too late. Also parents both have to work in most cases. So someone needs to wise these kids up and tell them how it is!  Now as far as extensively I am sure it will be made age appropriete kids are more aware now than ever!!!

Quoting mama_girl07:

Kids are doing it younger and younger these days. Do I think the schools should be the ones to educate extensively? Absolutely not. I think it is up to the parents to educate their children as far as they think their children can handle. Alot of kids are having sex as young as 11 nowadays.

CoeyG
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Quoting mama_girl07:

And what about the parents who don't talk about it with their kids? 
I'm 56 years old, both of my parents are dead, all that I was ever told about sex was that "it" was the wife's duty when she got married.  No one ever told me what "it" was, could have been waxing floors or the ironing.  When I was little and wanted to know where babies came from all I ever got was "Now why would you want to know that?"...It took the mother of my first "love" to explain things to me.  Not all kids have friend's parents who will talk to them if their own won't.  So where do you think these kids are going to get the education they need?  How about the school bathroom...

Older single proud mom of Shannon.  Alpha mom to Pebbles & Sadie.  Jill of all trades.         Certifialbe Lunatic  http://coeyg1.bravehost.com/

VintageWife
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM

That just grosses me out to read the words 'awareness of sex pleasures' when we are talking to children. *gags* Hey kids, sex feels great...oooohhh yeah do i love to orgasm....best thing i have ever felt, but don't do it!  Like thats going to work "rolls eyes*.

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

No matter what you throw into the story, the Stand and Deliver brochure mentions NOTHING about teaching a child masturbation, let alone a child as young as five.

There is nothing wrong with talking, discussing and teaching a 10 year old about his or her sexuality,, safe sex, and reproductive issues.

mama_girl07
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I never got the sex toalk either from my parents but I still waited. I dont think its the schools place to teach children beyond the simple things. Im sorry for the children's whose parents have "better" things to do then teach their children things some of the important things in life. I for one will be educating my girls on this stuff and would be very mad if the school took it upon themselves to teach my children these things.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting mama_girl07:

And what about the parents who don't talk about it with their kids? 
I'm 56 years old, both of my parents are dead, all that I was ever told about sex was that "it" was the wife's duty when she got married.  No one ever told me what "it" was, could have been waxing floors or the ironing.  When I was little and wanted to know where babies came from all I ever got was "Now why would you want to know that?"...It took the mother of my first "love" to explain things to me.  Not all kids have friend's parents who will talk to them if their own won't.  So where do you think these kids are going to get the education they need?  How about the school bathroom...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)