Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have to pay for 911 calls? Tracy, California does.

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

This is crap..... can't believe they'd do this.

TRACY, Calif. (CBS13) ―

Tracy residents will now have to pay every time they call 9-1-1 for a medical emergency.

But there are a couple of options. Residents can pay a $48 voluntary fee for the year which allows them to call 9-1-1 as many times as necessary.

Or, there's the option of not signing up for the annual fee. Instead, they will be charged $300 if they make a call for help.

"A $300 fee and you don't even want to be thinking about that when somebody is in need of assistance," said Tracy resident Greg Bidlack.

Residents will soon receive the form in the mail where they'll be able to make their selection. No date has been set for when the charges will go into effect.

http://cbs13.com/local/tracy.911.calls.2.1502690.html

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isaiahsmomma86
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Wow, that's crazy. I could see charging people who call for no reason or to prank call or something, but every 911 call... idk bout that.

madmom04
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:05 AM

WOW!   defiantly makes you think about the word HELP!! 

LiesLiesLies
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:57 AM

What are their other options? Raising property tax? Laying off 911 operators? Police?

Bos_Boo
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM

What about not wasting all that money paying for a millionaire child molester like Michael Jackson's funeral? California has done this to themselves and they shouldn't be allowed to charge residents for calling for help. That's ridiculous. What are they going to do, NOT help people if they haven't paid the bill from the last time they called?

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

What are their other options? Raising property tax? Laying off 911 operators? Police?

annie610
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM
Wtf Is that in every state
LiesLiesLies
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Quoting Bos_Boo:

What about not wasting all that money paying for a millionaire child molester like Michael Jackson's funeral? California has done this to themselves and they shouldn't be allowed to charge residents for calling for help. That's ridiculous. What are they going to do, NOT help people if they haven't paid the bill from the last time they called?

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

The reason behind paying for that was because they made MILLIONS more in revenue from all the tourist.

Aside from that I think California needs to have stricter guidelines on welfare...which would save them a lot of money...

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I'm pretty sure that most people do pay for 911 I know where I live there is a 911 access fee on landline phone bills. I think most people just don't realize they are paying for 911.

Ethans_mom718
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

In Indiana on the landline I think its a fee of around 7.99 per month.

SavageGrl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I like the idea.

No more stupid, frivolous calls from McDonald's customers complaining they are out of nuggets.

SavageGrl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)