Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

U.S. Controversial Drug Harms Heart

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

Anyone else see this article about the diabetes drug Avandia? Just one more reason why I take whatever Dr.'s, the FDA and CDC say with a "grain of salt" concerning how SAFE something is for everyone they deem in need of it. Does this raise concerns about the safety of medications, etc for you?

msnbc.msn.com/id/35491876/ns/health-the_new_your_times

(not sure if the above will get you to the article but it is worth reading)

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SavageGrl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM

bump

Jessymessy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM

this pisses me off royally

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Every drug has a side effect. If you can get away without anything, GREAT....but some of us have chronic problems and can't seem to get around the chemicals. Becomes part of your daily life. It ends up being a choice....the lesser of 2 evils for your life. 

MemawBrie
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Yeah, I had heard about this a while back.  My mom was taking Avandia and I told her about this.  She has a bad heart, and has had a couple of heart attacks, one required open heart surgery.  She brought it up to her Dr and he took her off the medication.  

Almost every day I see commercials about "bad drugs" and the harmful side effects they cause.  This is the problem with medicine in general...it's not an exact science...it's all experimental.  Some medications may help, but they don't know the long term outcome.  

I crack up every time I see drugs advertised on TV...they list all the possible side effects, to which my hubby and I always interject..."And possibly even DEATH!"  LOL

Don't get me wrong...I am not anti medication...I just wish they wouldn't push their drugs without more testing.  My doctor has been trying to convince me to try a new drug for my Fibromyalgia, and I told him, the last time you had me try a "new medication that has shown promise"I ended up in the back of an ambulance being rushed to the ER!  NO THANKS!  The combination of meds I'm on is working, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  (Bad grammar, I know.) 

Jessymessy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I took a drug for a seziure disorder and now I pretty much have to take it for the rest of my life or else I will have seziures. It pisses me off. If I stop taking the drug I will have MORE seziures than I ever had, as a side effect of quitting the drug. I swear, if I DIDNT have a seziure disorder to begin with, the drug would have caused it!

Quoting EireLass:

Every drug has a side effect. If you can get away without anything, GREAT....but some of us have chronic problems and can't seem to get around the chemicals. Becomes part of your daily life. It ends up being a choice....the lesser of 2 evils for your life. 

Gretchen2876
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I have always been weird about drugs. Especially now, the long list of scary side-effects mentioned on commercials is enough for me to stay far away! As it stands, we have to really need something, for me to be OK with it. I rarely even  take over the counter stuff.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I always laugh at the commercials that list the possible side effects and end with "and may cause anal leakage". What a lovely sight. 

MemawBrie
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I always laugh at the commercials that list the possible side effects and end with "and may cause anal leakage". What a lovely sight. 

LOL - Ewwwwwww, I haven't heard that one yet.

I may not know what my future holds, but, I do know
                               the One who holds my future

JESUS

Della529
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I won't take any medication that hasn't been on the market for at least 20 years...won't buy the first year production of a new car, either.  The FDA needs to stop pushing them through so quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)