Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Islam

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM
  • 5 Replies

Islam: Contemporary figures for Islam are usually between 1 billion and 1.8 billion, with 1 billion being a figure frequently given in many comparative religion texts, probably because it's such a nice, round number. That figure appears to be dated, however. Relatively high birth rates in Muslim countries continue to make Islam a fast-growing religion. The largest and best known branches of Islam are Sunni and Shi'ite. More.

Many Muslims (and some non-Muslim) observers claim that there are more practicing Muslims than practicing Christians in the world. Adherents.com has no reason to dispute this. It seems likely, but we would point out that there are different opinions on the matter, and a Muslim may define "practicing" differently than a Christian. In any case, the primary criterion for the rankings on this page is self-identification, which has nothing to do with practice.

Smaller groups within Islam include Sufis (although some Sufis regard their practice of Sufism as pan-denominational or non-denominational), Druze, the U.S.-based Nation of Islam (previously known as "Black Muslims"), and Ahmadiyya. As is true with all major religions, there are adherents within all branches of Islam who consider some of or all of the other branches heterodox or not actually part of their religion. But these classifications are based primarily on historical lineage and self-identification. Protestations and disagreements based on exclusivistic internal concepts of belief or practice are normal, but are largely immaterial with regards to historical, taxonomic and statistical classification

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
2rays0fsun
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Just want to note most Muslims do not consider Nation of Islam the same as Islam  - so they are not be confused. I'm not sure why Nation of Islam is cited in your quote as a "smaller group within Islam" because most would feel that is incorrect. 

It's true the largest group of Muslims in America can be called "Black Muslims" i.e. African American in ethnicity - but again this is not the same as "Nation of Islam" at all. Black muslims are just muslims who happen to be ethnically Black. Just like "Black Christians" would be Christians who happen to be Black.

one of the important parts of Islam though is that we don't differentiate based on race/ethnicity :) Islam is considered native to all peoples.

tericared
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Quoting 2rays0fsun:

Just want to note most Muslims do not consider Nation of Islam the same as Islam  - so they are not be confused. I'm not sure why Nation of Islam is cited in your quote as a "smaller group within Islam" because most would feel that is incorrect. 

It's true the largest group of Muslims in America can be called "Black Muslims" i.e. African American in ethnicity - but again this is not the same as "Nation of Islam" at all. Black muslims are just muslims who happen to be ethnically Black. Just like "Black Christians" would be Christians who happen to be Black.

one of the important parts of Islam though is that we don't differentiate based on race/ethnicity :) Islam is considered native to all peoples.

Ditto...NOI is not true Islam

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

glitterteaz
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I am sorry I do not know much of anything about Islam. I was just showing what I had found on it thanks for the corrections

tericared
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Quoting glitterteaz:

I am sorry I do not know much of anything about Islam. I was just showing what I had found on it thanks for the corrections

Not your fault...No need to be sorry...

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics

Group Mod

Gypsyuma
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Sufism is also not true Islam, at least from what I know about it.  I was curious so rented a book from the library.  After reading the whole thing, I can honestly say I have no clue what I read.  Not any of it made any sense to me.

Plus, they worship and pray to clothes from dead ancestors of Prophet Mohammed.  That is just freaky.

Nope, not real Muslims. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)