Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I put my DH on my bank account?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM
  • 63 Replies

Poll

Question: should I

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

My dh and I have been married for 3 years and have always had our own accounts. We both have always had an income and we discuss the bills at the begining of the month but we've never put that much trust in eachother. He's been laid off but gets unemploment so I bring in most of the income. I was thinking of adding him on to my main account but I'm just not sure. I don't feel like we're open enough with eachother about our finances. I feel like this may be a way to strengthen our marriage.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glitterteaz
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Nope, don't do it! Do you want your marriage to out right have issues? Then don't do it. Trust me hubby and I have been together 21 years the only time we had MAJOR issues was when we had a joint account!!!

glitterteaz
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Also if there is issues and he gets mad he could blow your account. Think of the account as your safety net!!! Know a lot of peeps with this issue in my life!

MikeysMom51108
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Is there a reason you don't trust him with money? Has he been known to spend money frivolously or something?

I don't know..I always think it's strange to hear that some married couples don't share money and accounts. My husband and I had a joint account before we were even married....

But, ultimately, it's up to you. If you don't feel you can trust him to be responsible with the money--then don't do it. If you feel he can be responsible, then give it a try....

ForeverMeme
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I added my DH to my account, and it has worked out fine. Neither of us blows money and we talk about big purchases. No problem here! Trust is a beautiful thing!

supermom3806
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Me && my husband share a bank account. We have been sharing an account for about 4 yrs now. We haven't had an issue with it to where it caused us to fight.

Everyone is different so maybe you could make a pros && cons list about if you should put him on there.

4kidz916
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I voted no but it's really a personal choice that you have to make.  When I was married I did have a joint account which he did empty when he left and that left me with a mess to clean up with bounced checks, etc.  With this experience I probably will never have another joint account no matter how much I trust the guy.

vicki77433
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM

My husband and I have always had a joint account and it has never been a problem.  Neither of us spends money frivolously and we always make large purchases together.

I would only have seperate accounts if I didn't trust him.  If I didn't trust him I would have to question why I married him in the first place.

bellaamore
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Exactly.  Unless he has shown you that you can't trust him you really have no reason not to... Then again, I wouldn't be with someone I couldn't trust 100%.  We have always had joint accounts and have had no issues at all.

Quoting MikeysMom51108:

Is there a reason you don't trust him with money? Has he been known to spend money frivolously or something?

I don't know..I always think it's strange to hear that some married couples don't share money and accounts. My husband and I had a joint account before we were even married....

But, ultimately, it's up to you. If you don't feel you can trust him to be responsible with the money--then don't do it. If you feel he can be responsible, then give it a try....

Mrs.LSU
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:46 PM

my husband and I since day one have shared an account.  I have been married for 9 yrs, I stay at home and he works in the oilfield.  He ck is direct deposit and it is OUR MONEY.  Not just his.  There is a reason both of you can't seem to trust each other with money, ya'll need to figure that out and fix the problem. 

Randi02
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Same here...

We have never had any issues. He brings in the money, I pay the bills and then we can spend what we want or need to.

We do have a "rule" (more a respect thing) where we discuss purchases over $100. Not really "asking" but just letting the other person know.

Quoting MikeysMom51108:

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/19/633494314852443062-you%27re-fat.jpg

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)