Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why some twist the truth or out and out lie.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM
  • 5 Replies

http://psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_do_people_lie

The Truth About Motivations for Lying

People lie everyday. They learn how to lie early in life, and continue lying their entire lives. A person may lie to protect himself and in an attempt to control life.

Why do people lie? The simple answer: it’s easy. Virtually everyone lies, and most people are pretty good at it, according to TruthAboutDeception.com. Evidence suggests that most people learn to lie at a very early age. Starting at about three, children will lie to avoid getting into trouble. By age five, when it comes to dodging punishment, most kids are expert liars.

Interestingly, children must be taught to lie to protect another’s feelings, said Gail Saltz, a New York Presbyterian Hospital psychiatrist, in an MSNBC article. Parents teach children how to tell these white lies early in life. For example, “Tell Aunt Betty she looks great in those jeans.”

This example highlights that lying to protect someone else is more difficult, said TruthAboutDeception.com. It is natural for people to lie to protect themselves and cover for their mistakes. But covering for some one else is a little more of a stretch and requires a little more practice. But by the time most people are adults, lying is second nature.

What do People Lie About?

For adults, lying serves purposes other than avoiding punishment, although most adults have tried lying to get out of a traffic ticket or other more serious infractions. Robert Feldmen, a University of Massachusetts psychologist, said in a LiveScience article that adults want to control how others see them. And they want to control how they see themselves.

According to Feldmen, people will lie to appear more agreeable and to impress others in a social situation. In effect, they want to elevate their self-esteem. “Once their self-esteem is threatened, people will li – immediately.” They will lie about the kind of car they drive, where they live, and how much money they make.

by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamawmom
by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I thought it must be low self esteem or in some cases such as a relative I have,just to have their way.

MemawBrie
by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM

In my experiences with people, I find they lie in order to cover up the truth.  I've never understood the reasoning behind lying.  It's definitely something I never tolerated in my children. 

blondekosmic15
In the process of decorating my page~
Yesterday at 2:17 PM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Quoting mamawmom:

http://psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_do_people_lie

The Truth About Motivations for Lying

People lie everyday. They learn how to lie early in life, and continue lying their entire lives. A person may lie to protect himself and in an attempt to control life.

Interestingly, children must be taught to lie to protect another’s feelings, said Gail Saltz, a New York Presbyterian Hospital psychiatrist, in an MSNBC article. Parents teach children how to tell these white lies early in life. For example, “Tell Aunt Betty she looks great in those jeans.”

Maybe in some families but my parents taught us { 7 children } just to be silent if we did not wish to offend someone but never to lie...

Thx. for posting mamawmom...interesting~

mamawmom
by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 2:21 AM

I agree with both of you.I hate lying even when it is to keep from hurting someones feelings but I guess I hate the thought of hurting someone the most.

mamapaparazzi
by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Everybody lies.  Little lies, big lies... if you're having a crappy day and someone asks "how are you?" and you say "fine," that's a lie.  We all do it to some degree.  Some lies are bigger than others and some are damaging while some aren't.

Most lying I can't stand.  Some I appreciate.  Like the "do I look like crap today?" when I'm sick and my husband says "No, you're beautiful, honey".  I know he's lying, lol.  But I LOVE him for doing it, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)