Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you heard...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM
  • 19 Replies

How many of you have heard of the FATHERS RIGHTS MOVEMENT and what do you think of it?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sharebearII
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I know that there are organizations that help Dads gain custody of their children and stuff.  

...or are you talking about abortion?

GOBryan
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Quoting sharebearII:

I know that there are organizations that help Dads gain custody of their children and stuff.  

...or are you talking about abortion?

No. Mostly the whole legal process.. custody, child support, equality in court cases, etc.

Here's a link: http://fathersrightsinc.com/

sharebearII
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I think that's way cool then. 

Mothers have had the upper hand in custody, child support, etc...   for much too long!  It's time Fathers were considered to be equal in these instances.  Just because you gave birth doesn't mean that you're the better parent.  KWIM?

GOBryan
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Absolutely. I'm thinking of opening a group for this. There's lots of stepmoms that can help their husbands with information obtained through a group and gets the word out. It can also help with venting their story and support.

Quoting sharebearII:

I think that's way cool then. 

Mothers have had the upper hand in custody, child support, etc...   for much too long!  It's time Fathers were considered to be equal in these instances.  Just because you gave birth doesn't mean that you're the better parent.  KWIM?

mamapaparazzi
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

There's a man with a "barn" on the side of the highway as I come in to town from where I live with a huge, handpainted advertisement for father's rights.

To be honest, I'm not as progressive as I should be when it comes to mothers and fathers  and  right equality.  Maybe it's from 99% of the fathers in my life (that includes fathers of my friends, fathers of  my friend's babies, fathers in my extended family, etc) being the type that just jumps up and goes when the going gets tough that I believe that children tend to be more stable with mothers. 

There is NO scientific basis for my feeling, it's only a feeling based on being a mother, knowing mothers, knowing too many asshole fathers and having that maternal "don't touch my child or I'll kill you, even if you ARE the father" instinct.

There are ALWAYS cases where the child is better off with the father, I know that's a fact. And there are very good single fathers out there who are single fathers by choice and not by circumstance (circumstance meaning the mother dies or disappears).

There are just a few things in life I'm a bit archaic on, lol.

Punky_1981
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I think for a guy that wants to be a part of his childs life, then the Father's rights act is a great idea.  

sharebearII
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM

My DH has two daughters by two different crack whore women.  Years ago he tried to get custody of his girls.  Well, doing this would have cut the women off from the checks they were getting every month from the state, right?  So, they couldn't have that.   You know what they did?   They got together and accused my DH of raping and sodomizing the daughters...  

Long story short.  My DH ended up giving up his parental rights to his daughters.  He was chased by vigilantes who believe what they hear on the news and wanted to kill him.   His back surgery was canceled and his case closed because people are so ready to believe what they hear - especially if it's a thing so terrible as that... 

He nearly died over the whole thing.   ...he was on his way out when I met him...

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Is this the one about father's AFTER divorce? 

wanita61
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I've not heard about it but I guess it's a good thing. I mean there are times when fathers are better than mothers (and vise-versa). But of course, every case has to be looked at individually.

GOBryan
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM

That's the problem though. Courts are so archaic that a mother can accuse a father of molestation, etc.. which may be false and even if it's dismissed later, the accusation has still been made and will ALWAYS come up and he'll still be seen that way. Evidence or no.

My husband had one of his sons once. The boy chipped his tooth at his aunt's house and when he got back to the mother, she called Child Services and they did a full investation, however, Child Services has been called on her for valid reason and they have yet to even make a visit. There are double standards.

Quoting sharebearII:

My DH has two daughters by two different crack whore women.  Years ago he tried to get custody of his girls.  Well, doing this would have cut the women off from the checks they were getting every month from the state, right?  So, they couldn't have that.   You know what they did?   They got together and accused my DH of raping and sodomizing the daughters...  

Long story short.  My DH ended up giving up his parental rights to his daughters.  He was chased by vigilantes who believe what they hear on the news and wanted to kill him.   His back surgery was canceled and his case closed because people are so ready to believe what they hear - especially if it's a thing so terrible as that... 

He nearly died over the whole thing.   ...he was on his way out when I met him...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)