Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christians should not practice Tai Chi

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM
  • 20 Replies

*facepalm*

Ok, this stuck out at me because I made a post in a group a long time ago about someone having a problem with yoga and Christianity.  Now Tai Chi is out, too.  This is stupid, and I'm a Christian.  I have no problem with yoga, tai chi or any other relaxing exercise that happens to stem from another religion.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/International/2010/03/05/British-church-official-says-no-to-tai-chi/UPI-73471267834040/

LONDON, March 5 (UPI) -- An English rector evicted a tai chi class from his church hall after deciding the exercise routines were not compatible with Christianity, authorities said.

The Rev. Jonathan Frais of St. Marks Church in Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, served the class, led by Richard Odell, with less than a month's notice, The Daily Telegraph reported Friday.

"Tai chi is a practice from the Taoist religion. Although the relaxation techniques are not teaching a different religion, it advocates practices that come from a different faith," Frais said.

"It got to the point where it struck me as inappropriate on Christian premises for an expression of another religion to be hosted."

Odell called Frais' decision "ridiculous."

"We have been here for quite a few years. It's insulting and effectively saying the church is now not prepared to tolerate our presence."

Student Jean Mills was a regular class attendee.

"Our classes focus on the health benefits of deep breathing and slow exercise. We all consider ourselves Christians with several of us regular churchgoers," she said.

"For almost four years I have attended tai chi lessons and from the onset Mr. Odell made it clear to us that he did not teach a religion."

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wendy_June
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Some people think everything is evil. LOL

mamapaparazzi
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Apparently the "New Martyr" for hardcore Christians is hypertension?? lol  Sorry, I'm a type B Christian personality, lol.  Bring on the relaxy!

Quoting Wendy_June:

LavenderMom23
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I'm Roman Catholic. I love doing my yoga! That being said, spiritually weak Christians should not practice these types of exercise. If you can do the workout and keep it physical, then they are awesome. But if you are easily talked into things, gullible, etc, then yes you need to stick with more regular workouts (jogging, cardio machines, weights, etc). I can see both sides, but only because I know not everyone is smart or has a strong spiritual life.

Gretchen2876
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM

No doubt! I adore Yoga, and am currently looking for a Tai Chi class to take. I have read that it does wonders for the mind and the body. I am all for that!

Quoting mamapaparazzi:

Apparently the "New Martyr" for hardcore Christians is hypertension?? lol  Sorry, I'm a type B Christian personality, lol.  Bring on the relaxy!

Quoting Wendy_June:

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

Desi DeNardo (via Starbucks coffee cup)

Gretchen2876
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I'm Roman Catholic. I love doing my yoga! That being said, spiritually weak Christians should not practice these types of exercise. If you can do the workout and keep it physical, then they are awesome. But if you are easily talked into things, gullible, etc, then yes you need to stick with more regular workouts (jogging, cardio machines, weights, etc). I can see both sides, but only because I know not everyone is smart or has a strong spiritual life.

This confuses me. How is exercise going to trick anyone out of their beliefs?

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

If you do yoga as a form of excercise, it's not an issue. If you practice yoga asa true ayurvedic way of life, there's your conflict. 

Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Well, if that is the case, then christians need to stop all forms of Asian Martial Arts.......

You know, this is really silly. When my mum went to Catholic School, they did not have a gym period, because it was evil.....they had extra bible study instead......

ColtsFan1912
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM

hehe we use to do yoga & at CHRIStIAN school. .guess im EVIL muwhwhaha ;)

Gretchen2876
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Quoting Kaelansmom:

Well, if that is the case, then christians need to stop all forms of Asian Martial Arts.......

You know, this is really silly. When my mum went to Catholic School, they did not have a gym period, because it was evil.....they had extra bible study instead......

If you Google this, there are Christians that believe Martial arts, and Pilates should not be practiced at all. I agree, it is silly. They also say that meditation, to clear the mind, is evil. That one confuses me too.

vintage_pearl4
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Tai Chi is the debil!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)