Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is there a law stating that a boy and a girl cannot share a bedroom?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM
  • 56 Replies

If you say yes, please provide with link to the law.  I can't find anything.  I live in Ohio.

Thanks!

by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Manda046
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Siblings? Geez, I am not sure but you wouldn't think so!

Just_Bethy
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM

In America I don't think so..but in UK when the oldest reaches 5y/o boys and girls can no longer share a room...

CoeyG
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I don't know if there is such a law...if they are toddlers/small children I don't think it would hurt but at about 8 they should be separated because it is possible for puberty to begin as early as 8 and that is time for boys and girls to have separate rooms.  To me it is just common sense

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM

A friend of mine that lives in N.Y says there is a law there, but i'm not sure about any other state.

-xoxo-
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I know that in Wisconsin if CPS does an investigation of your home, they will tell you that after a certain age (I can't remember what age) boys and girls cannot share a room. This happened to my ex-husband's cousin. The man lived in a 2 bedroom apt with his 2 daughters and 1 son and they actually had their children removed until they could move into a bigger place. 

wife.and.mommy
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Is it legal for a teenager and and child brother and sister of the opposite sex to share a room?

Many places DO have laws regulating the housing of children; especially if DCS is involved. They will tell you boys and girls must have separate bedrooms, many apartment/rental leases specify how many/male or female adults or children in each size apartment for instance single mom with male child must have separate sleeping area for male child (I was told 2 bedrooms but DCS said as long as not in same bed ok to be in same room -they prefer separate if possible though 
sahm_of_rj
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Our apartment lease specified number of people per room and sex.  My friend just had to move because they had a second baby and they were in a 1 bedroom, the apartment lease states that if you have more than 3 people living there you have to have 2 bedrooms.  I want to say ours specified about gender but I can't remember exactly what it said.  I don't know about laws though.

onefootcutiepie
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I believe that the laws are just for foster care and such. I do believe that renters and landlords can have laws, but that when you own, there are not laws against it.

tbursac777
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM

i don't know about law's.. but i would think as babies/toddlers it would be ok, around age 5. i'd say it's time to move to seperate rooms.

momto3infl
by on Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM

In the three states I have lived in DCF/CPS (a few family work for them) only have rules and state laws that are for foster kids.  I have seen nothing on blood or even half blood family-one family member had CPS called on her for spanking, and half sister and half brother share a room-cps said nothing on it.

Section 8 housing has rules about sibs and many aptments even if not section 8 may or do have rules about space per sq foot per person in appt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN