• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little FYI for parents of kids who use the internet....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:26 AM
  • 12 Replies

Not sure of how many people out there are aware of this new site where you can chat or video with a complete stranger by pushing one button, but I thought I'd put it out there for awareness sake....  

http://omegle.com/

There are no filters, no parental controls, nothing... just stranger chat.  No profiles or signing up....might be one of those sites you might want to block if you have parental controls on your computer.

Just thought I'd share.  It seems a bit creepy to me, but I'm all old and stuff, too, lol.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
guam_mama
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:39 AM

scary

danie24
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Thank You! I am always blocking new sites I find.. you just never know.

My daughter is only 4 but she can navigate online better than most people I know, LOL

CoeyG
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:46 AM

What it all boils down to is that instead of handing a child their own computer and letting them use it behind their bedroom door mom and dad need to superivise and monitor what their kids do online.   All the parental safetys aren't going to work if your kid hacks into them, which most know how to do before they even get the computer.

mamapaparazzi
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Yeah.  And it never hurts to block anyway.  I think, too, you may be overestimating the hacking skills of our youth.  Not every kid knows all the ins and outs.  I'd hesitate to say "most"... I'd agree with "a lot", but not "most".

What it all boils down to is that instead of handing a child their own computer and letting them use it behind their bedroom door mom and dad need to superivise and monitor what their kids do online.   All the parental safetys aren't going to work if your kid hacks into them, which most know how to do before they even get the computer.

bellaamore
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 2:55 AM
We don't block any sites. DH was a computer tech for 14+ years... if we want to know what is going on, he just uses "remote ass".
bellaamore
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM
BTW, this is not new by any means. It was first known as BBSes, standing for bulletin board systems. (google it)... that was in the early 90s.. Then came IRC (internet relay chat), which one upped BBSes. Then, it just went from there. Just tell your kids not to give out personal info and they will be fine, as long as they are mature enough to handle that. How about don't let your kids get online if they aren't smart enough to know not to give personal info? If anything it is HARDER to chat now than it was then...On IRK, there would be HUNDREDS of people and THOUSANDS of rooms per servers and THOUSANDS of servers..
CoffeeK9
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Weird   I just had a conversation with a stranger about the movie twilight zone.  Omegle defiantly not a safe place for kids.    I bookmarked it on my laptop so i can warn hubby about this later.   thanks for letting the moms know about this.

mamapaparazzi
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Um... "chat" isn't new to me, LOL, or the history thereof, lol.  This particular site was, however, and with the lack of any sort of filter on it I thought I would pass it on.

BTW, I think it's pretty naive to think that even "mature" kids never try to traipse into the forbidden territories of the internet.  "Just telling" them just may not be enough unless a person has one of those rare perfect kiddos I hear tell about from that one faraway planet, lol, kwim?

As far as it being harder to chat.... did you click the link in the OP?  How is that chat even close to "hard"?  The "ease" is exactly why I posted it in here.

Quoting bellaamore:

BTW, this is not new by any means. It was first known as BBSes, standing for bulletin board systems. (google it)... that was in the early 90s.. Then came IRC (internet relay chat), which one upped BBSes. Then, it just went from there. Just tell your kids not to give out personal info and they will be fine, as long as they are mature enough to handle that. How about don't let your kids get online if they aren't smart enough to know not to give personal info? If anything it is HARDER to chat now than it was then...On IRK, there would be HUNDREDS of people and THOUSANDS of rooms per servers and THOUSANDS of servers..

bellaamore
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:37 AM
Quoting mamapaparazzi:

Um... "chat" isn't new to me, LOL, or the history thereof, lol.  This particular site was, however, and with the lack of any sort of filter on it I thought I would pass it on.

BTW, I think it's pretty naive to think that even "mature" kids never try to traipse into the forbidden territories of the internet.  "Just telling" them just may not be enough unless a person has one of those rare perfect kiddos I hear tell about from that one faraway planet, lol, kwim?

As far as it being harder to chat.... did you click the link in the OP?  How is that chat even close to "hard"?  The "ease" is exactly why I posted it in here.

Quoting bellaamore:

Yeah, I clicked it and chatted. As long as your kid is mature enough to know better than to give out info, they will be fine. We don't believe in filters around here.
Kaelansmom
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:43 AM

and this is why my son will never have his own computer or cell phone... too many crazies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)