Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to the CLASSICS???????????? INTERESTING!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

We took out son to a new Doctor yesterday and it was a very interesting visit.  My son has Aspergers and we have been having quite the time lately.  He is so heavily medicated and it doesn't seem to be doing much for him.  Anyway at the end of our visit he adjusted his meds. decreasing and removing some ( I could not be happier)  He then gave us a CD and has asked us to play it for him every night at bedtime.  It is classical music Beethoven, Mozart some of the well known.  I guess in Theory there are certain patterns and sounds within some of this music that can actually get the brain to respond in a more rhythmic manner. Not sure if I believe this or not but I did find it very interesting.  His main concerns right now is helping him sleep more at night and stop wetting the bed soo much. He is 8 and is really struggling with this. As for the ADHD meds it sounds like he would like to have him removed from them at some point. He said that "This may just be the way he is and he needs to learn how to live in his own skin.".  His ADHD meds don't really work for him.  I guess it was just nice to see somebody in his field accept him for who HE is and not what people WANT him to be.  Sorry this was long but it has been a long road for us.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bakebiscotti
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I'm so happy that there are still common sense type doctors out there.  You are very lucky to have found him.

Good luck in the future with this

sorgegal5
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I've been doing alot of research into this and it is very interesting how the tempo can have such an effect on brain activity.  Maybe this is why I shouldn't listen to hip hop while im driving in rush hour. LOL

CoeyG
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Yes!  I would like to see more doctors like this as well instead of trying to force "square pegs" to fit into "round holes".  I have seen so many want to medicate a child when what needs to be done is education.   Teach the child rather than medicate the child.  There is nothing wrong with being different.

bakebiscotti
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

When I was a child (well now too) I was a little on the hyper side.  Ritalin was a relatively new drug when I was a child, but my doctor suggested to my mom that I start taking it.  My  mom said no.   My mom wouldn't put me on meds because she was afraid it would change my personality (which is of course, delightful).  I learned coping skills for my randomness and I still have problems with organization and sitting still, but I'm grateful that my mother didn't have me medicated, though I'm not sure my teachers would agree LOL.

sorgegal5
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Now if we could just get the school on board with this way of thinking we could have a platform to work from.  Sadly the teacher is the only one who has really taken the time to explore some of the more NON CONVENTIONAL teaching methods. She has been such a wonderful teacher if only I could take her with him to every grade. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)