Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your child???????

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM
  • 4 Replies

Watch a movie that was historical but graphic?  If so what are the guidelines that you would use? 

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
CoeyG
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Yes, I've always made it a habit to discuss very graphic movies with my daughter when she was small.  We discuss everything from "This is the way they did things back then" to make up to costumes, to the fact that what she is seeing isn't real but people who are pretending to be...just like when she played "dress up".  Consequently she has never had any nightmares caused by movies she has seen that other parents might deem in-appropriate for their children.   I don't like censorship but believe it is my responsilbity to make sure my child (when she was a child) understand the difference between what was on the movie screen and what is real. 

sorgegal5
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:02 PM

We are of the same thinking.  My son is 12 and we have allowed him to watch movies with us that are graphic in nature.  My husband sat down with him and watched Blackhawk Down.  He took the time to stop the movie when there were questions and expain all of the "WHYS" to him.  We feel that it is important for him to see and understand how and why things happened.  That it isn't always rainbows and unicorns.  This may be flawed logic to some but for us we feel that it allows him a deeper understanding. I don't let my two younger ones watch yet as they lack the maturity to understand and appreciate the scope of things. 

tericared
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I wasnt able to do this with my 20 year old when she was younger,,,,she was way to sensitive,,,but my 8 year old...Yep not a problem....

IleanRight
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Yes we have to know history to not repeat it. And somethings like the  crucifixion shouldn't be sugar coated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)