Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't go POOP in the middle of the night.*contains the C word*

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:01 AM
  • 46 Replies

Simply turning on a light at night for a few seconds to go to the toilet can cause changes that might lead to cancer, scientists claim.

Researchers in the UK and Israel found that when a light is turned on at night, it triggers an 'over-expression' of cells linked to the formation of cancer.

Previous research has linked an increased risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer in workers exposed to artificial light on night shifts.

But researchers said the latest research is the first that shows even short-term exposure can be linked to an increased risk of cancer.

The tests were carried out on mice at Leicester University by geneticist Professor Charalambos Kyriacou.

During the trial, a group of mice were exposed to a light for one hour. When compared with mice who had been kept in the dark, changes were found in cells in the brain responsible for the circadian clock which controls body function.

Dr Rachel Ben-Shlomo, of the University of Haifa, said in the journal Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics that people waking at night would be best advised not to turn on the light.

She said: 'We believe that any turning on of artificial light in the night has an impact on the body clock. It's a very sensitive mechanism.

'If you want to get up to go to the toilet, you should avoid reaching for the light switch. There are some plug-in lights that just glow, that are safe and you could use them as an alternative.'

She added: 'These latest findings are preliminary research and we are now looking into this area in more detail.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1265277/Cancer-danger-night-time-trip-toilet.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0lXxayTLi

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamapaparazzi
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Omg, it's true.  EVERYTHING causes cancer! I knew it! lol

mommas3cubs
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Quoting mamapaparazzi:

Lol!

proudmotherof5k
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:04 AM

lol

Quoting mamapaparazzi:

CoeyG
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Yep....so much for my middle of the night ventures....

NattysMommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Well shoot, I am going to die of cancer. I hate the dark so at night every light in my house is on and I get up to pee a lot when I am sleeping. Haha

NatesMommy118
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:17 AM

It's really getting annoying how absolutely EVERYTHING causes cancer.

SnowboardMama4
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:18 AM

omg i get up like 8 times a night to pee, and you best believe i turn that light on every single time. guess i'm good as dead

maciymommieof3
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I am afraid that it might come out that CafemOm causes cancer.....I can hold my poop till the morning...but not get on cafemom?

Quoting NatesMommy118:

It's really getting annoying how absolutely EVERYTHING causes cancer.

can you come out and play?**

Join us in The Cafe....... a group mod :)

TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Jeez...you and DH...he got so upset over this, I think he's going to buy us all miner's hats for the darkness...

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:49 AM

or at least stay in bed and do it....wear depends. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)