Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Born Gay or Made Gay (yes I expect some drama)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM
  • 138 Replies

First let me say that my dearest friend since pre-school is a gay male and I have many gay friends so this is NOT a gay-bashing post in any way, shape, or form... it's merely an observation, really....

OK.... about 13 years ago now, my old neighbors divorced. Brad left Lisa for his kids teacher. Lisa was devastated... and ended up in a lesbian relationship with her son's best friend's mom, who had always been an outed lesbian and proud of it. That relationship ended and about that time, Lisa's next door neighbor's husband left her over an affair HE was having and Lisa and Laurie got into a relationship. Prior to their husbands leaving, they were both seemingly straight women who I had known my whole life. 

What I find odd now is that Lisa's daughter AND Laurie's daughter, who were pre-teens when this all started are now lesbians (not in a relationship with each other, though) and their BFF, my niece, is apparently leaning that way as well, from what I can see... Now, in high school, all three girls dated men... the one was OBSESSED with boys and was not faking it...

So I had always thought a person was "born" gay and that is fine... do what you makes you happy, right? But now I am wondering if being gay can be a learned behavior from what we see in our own environment.

What do you think?

peaceluvrecycle.gif

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BleedinHeartMom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM

IMO Opinion I don't think someone just wakes up after 20 something years of life and say VOILA I'm gay..there is something that has always told them in their mind they are attracted to the same sex..I do have a friend that was married for 7 yrs and got a divorce and turned to women..so I think sometimes its a choice sometimes people cant control it

and no you cant Pray the Gay away....

PieceOfMe3303
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I think Its a combo of both. There is also unfortunately the exact same for ppl who "hate" gays.

Mom2theboy1994
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I think children of homosexual relationships tend to feel more freedom to be open to experiment sexually. They don't feel the fear of being ostracized for being curious.

At least that's my take on it, lol.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Quoting BleedinHeartMom:

IMO Opinion I don't think someone just wakes up after 20 something years of life and say VOILA I'm gay..there is something that has always told them in their mind they are attracted to the same sex..I do have a friend that was married for 7 yrs and got a divorce and turned to women..so I think sometimes its a choice sometimes people cant control it

and no you cant Pray the Gay away....

I agree.  

My younger sister is gay and was in several long-term relationships with men because she wanted to be "normal".  

tinybubblez
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:14 PM

i think it's a lifestyle choice. i know too many ppl who have flip-flopped.

blondekosmic15
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Quoting Mom2LiamNMolly:

First let me say that my dearest friend since pre-school is a gay male and I have many gay friends so this is NOT a gay-bashing post in any way, shape, or form... it's merely an observation, really....

OK.... about 13 years ago now, my old neighbors divorced. Brad left Lisa for his kids teacher. Lisa was devastated... and ended up in a lesbian relationship with her son's best friend's mom, who had always been an outed lesbian and proud of it. That relationship ended and about that time, Lisa's next door neighbor's husband left her over an affair HE was having and Lisa and Laurie got into a relationship. Prior to their husbands leaving, they were both seemingly straight women who I had known my whole life. 

What I find odd now is that Lisa's daughter AND Laurie's daughter, who were pre-teens when this all started are now lesbians (not in a relationship with each other, though) and their BFF, my niece, is apparently leaning that way as well, from what I can see... Now, in high school, all three girls dated men... the one was OBSESSED with boys and was not faking it...

So I had always thought a person was "born" gay and that is fine... do what you makes you happy, right? But now I am wondering if being gay can be a learned behavior from what we see in our own environment.

What do you think?

There are many factors involved but the Bible states that the sins of the parents are pasted down to the children. No one is born gay~

Pink Blondie Glitter Glitters

Randi02
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I have several gay family members and friends.

Most of them, we always knew something was different about them... even as small children.

I don't think it's a choice at all. Why would anyone choose that judgement, persecution and everything else that comes with being gay?

I do have to say that a lot more people think it's cool to be "bi" or have same sex encounters but they quickly grow out of it and use that largely to get attention. A lot of teenagers are going through this phase right now, so I would bet that's probably what's up with the teen girls in your story.

PamR
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I think people are born gay.  They may deny it and attempt to live a straight lifestyle, only to come out later in life.  There may be those who experiement but aren't truly homosexual.  But I think if someone is really gay, it's there from day one.

onehotmom8300
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I think for some it's genetics, and some it's choice/fad.

BTW I have quite a few gay/lesbian friends, I worked in the hair biz for a long time.

ICU812
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

gay can be a learned behavior from what we see in our own environment

I agree with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)