Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puppy training classes *Update*

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM
  • 4 Replies

Tonite is our first night.  I have never to any before. Have you been to any? What do i expect?  He currently knows the basics, but i am hoping he listens to me and not have his selective hearing moments like my kids do. lol.

**Well, we made it through one class.  The dog did well.  The session seemed to be a lot of talking about expectations and a few quick things to learn for "homework"  I did find it confussing a little for my dog, not because of the other dogs and families, but because of my kids who would bicker about who got to try it out first.  So, i made a rule that in class i am in charge and we will practice at home.  I guess we will see how it goes from here.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I did a 6 week class, first class was just the adults, no puppies. 

I felt, at times they were TOO harsh.  My dog barks and they made me squirt her a ton.  Sometimes it works, sometimes she didh't/  My dd went for me one week and she felt like they were being mean to her and acting like our puppy was a failure.  She learned sit, down, stay (when she wants to, not all the time).  Come, when she wants to also.  I wasn't going to take more classes, at least not there.  She is turning a year soon now. 

lohmggcjr
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM

oh that is a bummer.  We are going to PetSmart.  They want us to bring the whole family.  sucks to hear you didnt have a good experience.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:52 PM

We train. We discourage group classes at a young age, because of the distraction. It's more fun to play with the other pups. The distraction quite often frustrates the owner, and then they don't focus, get upset, angry, etc. We prefer in-home training, with the whole family there. The dog will spend most of the time at home, it's where he's comfy, he's more apt to do well at basic obedience. PetSmart will either do clicker training or treat training....neither require your voice. What happens when you are out with your dog, you need to control him, and you don't have your clicker or treat? Just something to think about.  Good Luck, and have fun!!!

lohmggcjr
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Quoting EireLass:

We train. We discourage group classes at a young age, because of the distraction. It's more fun to play with the other pups. The distraction quite often frustrates the owner, and then they don't focus, get upset, angry, etc. We prefer in-home training, with the whole family there. The dog will spend most of the time at home, it's where he's comfy, he's more apt to do well at basic obedience. PetSmart will either do clicker training or treat training....neither require your voice. What happens when you are out with your dog, you need to control him, and you don't have your clicker or treat? Just something to think about.  Good Luck, and have fun!!!

They did use the treats, clicker and then voice in that order.  She expressed to us that dog first smell, listen and then slight and the each week we would be dropping one part of the tasks until they were responding to voice and visuals.  I liked it, it is a lot easier to be shown how to directly learn something, then to read it and try it.  At least for me anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)