Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help my 3 year old is out of control

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 3 year old boy is in my opinion out of control. When he doesent get his way or get something he wants he starts screaming and throws himself on the floor and sometimes he even bangs his head against the floor out of anger or attention one.I usually just stay firm and tell him no you are not getting this or that or whatever the case is and then i ignore his fits but i need to get some sort of control on him because i also have a 10 mth old boy and i sure dont want him picking up my 3 year olds bad habits.i honestly dont spooil him i am very firm and i disipline him and im not playing the blame game but his daddy and his mimi(his great grandmother whom we live with right now)spoil him but anyways i just need some advice

Stay at home momstay home momStay at home mom

by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom_since06
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:39 PM

bump

Stay at home momstay home momStay at home mom

Jessymessy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM

consistancy is key. Even if what you are doing doesn't seem to be working, be consistant, and it should work after a little while. You need to tell your husband and mimi that they really need to get on board with you because you feel alone in your endeavors. I actually  had to get into a fight with husband and his mother over this, but in the end it worked and they saw that I was just trying to do what was right for my child. Do not change your coarse because it is not working, just be patient. Once he realizes you are serious he will realize the only way to move forward is to do what you ask him to. For me there was a week where I couldnt leave my house just so I could get things situated, but after that week things went smooth and I could go places. She would remember the punishment at home and it would carry over to the outside world.

ManicRage
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM

sounds familiar, my son did the same when he was small, the doctor told us when he gets out of control to hold him in a bearhug so  he didnt hurt himself.

CoeyG
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Like it or not but your 10 month will probably behave in this manner when he becomes 2-4 years of age as well.  It is called "the terrible twos" and is a phase toddlers go through.  Your three year old isn't out of control your three year old is behaving like a three year old.  You have to start implementing disciplineary actions (should have started at his 1st birthday) Set rules and boundares, use time outs, accentuate the positive behaviors and play down the negative ones.  You do good by ignoring the tantrums but I'd go one further.  Get a child gate, put it in his doorway when he has a meltdown put him in his room with the gate up and walk away for awhile, keeping an eye on him to be sure he doesn't get hurt. 

Also you, your husband and his mother are going to have to stop spoiling him, they have to be on the same page as you when it comes to discipline, if not, this child's behavior is going to get worse and worse and your 10 month old will behave in the same manner getting worse and worse. 

I'm an older single,pro-choice,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,non-health insured, unemployed, Avon selling,mom of an adult Indigo only child

ashka88
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

Like it or not but your 10 month will probably behave in this manner when he becomes 2-4 years of age as well.  It is called "the terrible twos" and is a phase toddlers go through.  Your three year old isn't out of control your three year old is behaving like a three year old.  You have to start implementing disciplineary actions (should have started at his 1st birthday) Set rules and boundares, use time outs, accentuate the positive behaviors and play down the negative ones.  You do good by ignoring the tantrums but I'd go one further.  Get a child gate, put it in his doorway when he has a meltdown put him in his room with the gate up and walk away for awhile, keeping an eye on him to be sure he doesn't get hurt. 

Also you, your husband and his mother are going to have to stop spoiling him, they have to be on the same page as you when it comes to discipline, if not, this child's behavior is going to get worse and worse and your 10 month old will behave in the same manner getting worse and worse. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 2, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Terrible 3's are worse than terrible 2's.  Stay firm and do not give in to tantrums. 

katnjaquesmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Beat them

katnjaquesmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

lol

dalene66
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM

BUMP!

CoeyG
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Quoting Jessymessy:

consistancy is key. Even if what you are doing doesn't seem to be working, be consistant, and it should work after a little while. You need to tell your husband and mimi that they really need to get on board with you because you feel alone in your endeavors. I actually  had to get into a fight with husband and his mother over this, but in the end it worked and they saw that I was just trying to do what was right for my child. Do not change your coarse because it is not working, just be patient. Once he realizes you are serious he will realize the only way to move forward is to do what you ask him to. For me there was a week where I couldnt leave my house just so I could get things situated, but after that week things went smooth and I could go places. She would remember the punishment at home and it would carry over to the outside world.

very good point, consistency, discipline and patience. 

I'm an older single,pro-choice,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,non-health insured, unemployed, Avon selling,mom of an adult Indigo only child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)