Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how often does your toddler eat? (UPDATE)

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM
  • 5 Replies

OK so i have 2 boys an almost 3 year old and 1 year old and i have never had any problems with them not eating enough. i have actually had problems with them wanting to eat too much lol but lately my youngest 1 Shawn who is 12 months old hasn't had much of an appetite he wont even eat half of what he use to. so i thought maybe he might be bored of the same foods so i have gotten him different foods and its the same story he'll start off eating normally and by not even half of the meal he will just not eat anymore. he use to every 3 hours on the dot but yesterday i waited a little over 4 hours to feed him and turns out he wasn't hungry at all! didn't even want a little of nothing so this morning i prepare his bottle of milk 9 ounces and sometimes he even wants more than that but this morning he only drank about 4 ounces! so i waited another 4 and a half hours to feed him and he was not hungry he finally ate an enire jar of mand and i decided to give him a toddler sized bowl of ice cream and ate it all up.

but i am still very concerned with this, is this normal? i don't remember this happening with my son Damian. are any of you ladies having trouble with your toddlers appetite? should i go to paediatrician for this?

(UPDATE DOWN HERE) ok ladies thank you for your advice i think this problem is over! thank god because i cant stand to see my boys not eat enough it just worries me. through out the day hes been eating normally and just now for dinner he had mashed potatoes topped with gravy, lots of peas this baby seems to have a liking to peas which he didn't before not even in the babyfood jars. he ate a few pieces of bananas that i cut up for him and and some mac and cheese that he fed himself by dipping his hands in and putting it in his mouth. then a little while after that he was kinda cranky i didn't know what was wrong with him i didn't think that he would be hungry after eating all that food and my husband tells me feed him he looks hungry and i say i just fed him alot 20 minutes ago he must be stuffed but my husband wouldn't shut up so i went to the kitchen and got a yogurt and fed it to him and he ate it as if he had not eaten in days and then i got his favorite dessert ice cream topped with honey he ate it all up too and is now napping. since he has become so hungry I'm gonna have to keep on checking if hes hungry and make sure hes full but omg toddlers appetites change so quickly but this time it changed for the better yay. lol he is eating more than my 3 year old lol.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Mine went through spurts.  As long as they don't lose a lot.  Kids will eat if they are hungry.  3 year olds don't gain weight like a 1 year old does either.  Around age 2 mine started gaining about 4-5 pounds a year, nothing compared to how fast they gained before that. 

fallentears1986
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:21 PM

MY DD will sometimes be ravenous and sometimes eat hardly anything. He might not be going through a growth spurt right now. When they go through growth spurts they tend to eat tons more. I wouldnt be worried unless your pedia says his weight is off. sorry momma wish I could be more help!

I'm a 23 year old, had a daughter out of wedlock but married the baby's daddy, Bi-polar, pro-choice, Atheist, vaccinating, co-sleeping, non-spanking, non-CIO, non-statistical, planning on getting a B.S. in psychology, loving and caring, rock out, smoking, Marilyn Manson loving mommy to an adorable girl named Dawn Raven. I'm not your stereotypical idea of a mama but I love my daughter more than anything else. I'm anything but what you think I am!

sunshinemom614
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM

thanks ladies this has been a good help for me!

Mom_since06
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM

he might be feeling a little sick or possibly he could be teething sometimes when they are teething they dont have much of an appetite.i would just watch him for a day or two and see how he acts look for signs of teething...my 11 mth old eats alot lol he eats a bottle when he first wakes up then nibbles on some breakfast whatever we are having then he eats some baby food for lunch and another bottle for naptime and then snack when he wakes up then supper then another bottle at bed

sunshinemom614
by on May. 3, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Mom_since06:

he might be feeling a little sick or possibly he could be teething sometimes when they are teething they dont have much of an appetite.i would just watch him for a day or two and see how he acts look for signs of teething...my 11 mth old eats alot lol he eats a bottle when he first wakes up then nibbles on some breakfast whatever we are having then he eats some baby food for lunch and another bottle for naptime and then snack when he wakes up then supper then another bottle at bed

this might be the reason i do know he is teething and i already see a new 1 coming out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)