Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for Any Military Mama's Out There...

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

My dad and I were talking tonight and he was telling me how women in the Navy used to be called WAVES and women in the Army used to be called WAC's.  He was wondering what women in the Marines were called. So, I had hopped online and tried to find the answer. Through my searching I discovered what the acronyms supposedly stood for:

WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service)

WAC (Women's Army Corps)

and

WAF (Women in the Air Force)

But I could not seem to find any name for women in the Marines, or for any specific group of women in the Marines. The only thing I seem to keep finding is a slang term "BAM" meaning "Broad Assed Marine" and obviously pointing out the physical difference of the women than the men.  He was really looking to see if there was a term around WWII era, as most of the terms above seemed to be, but was interested if they still apply today or if the terms changed. So, I thought some of the Military Mom's on here might have more insight.  Any info you gals can lend??

thank you

Kimmy ... "I love my life as a Mommy and a Wife."              

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SusanD
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Marine Corp Women's Reserve was the first official group of women marines which wasn't named until WWII. Women served during WWI (just over 300 women) and they were all discharged as soon as WWI was over. In WWII women were again allowed to serve in the marines. Women were not assigned to actual active duty Marine units until around the 1970s.

I just wanted to add that these female Marines served in a reserve capacity, and there were very few of them. This is why they are not nearly as well known.

nemiller
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM

i have not heard anything nice in reference to female marines (as far as nicknames).  nothing official, just stupid guys acting like dicks.

Kimmylikins
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Awesome answer!! Thanks so much! :o)

Quoting SusanD:

Marine Corp Women's Reserve was the first official group of women marines which wasn't named until WWII. Women served during WWI (just over 300 women) and they were all discharged as soon as WWI was over. In WWII women were again allowed to serve in the marines. Women were not assigned to actual active duty Marine units until around the 1970s.

I just wanted to add that these female Marines served in a reserve capacity, and there were very few of them. This is why they are not nearly as well known.

Kimmylikins
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Typical. *roll eyes*  Thanks for answering the post though.  ;o)

Quoting nemiller:

i have not heard anything nice in reference to female marines (as far as nicknames).  nothing official, just stupid guys acting like dicks.

1143Marine
by on May. 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Women have served honorably since 1918 with the first Marines being known as Marinettes. After WWI they were released and then many called back to active duty during WWII. Then they were known as WR or Women Reserves

In 1943 women were intergrated in the Marine Corp fully. It was declared there were no nicknames, these women were known as Marines. Lt. Gen. Holcomb said, "They're real Marines. They don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines."   They were able to stay in the Corps and make a career of it.

I joined in the 70's and was known simply as a WM or Woman Marine. Now they no longer use that either. Only the term Marine in used.

You can learn more at www.womenmarines.org

Kimmylikins
by on May. 9, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Thank you so much for this response!! It was perfect! :o)

Quoting 1143Marine:

Women have served honorably since 1918 with the first Marines being known as Marinettes. After WWI they were released and then many called back to active duty during WWII. Then they were known as WR or Women Reserves

In 1943 women were intergrated in the Marine Corp fully. It was declared there were no nicknames, these women were known as Marines. Lt. Gen. Holcomb said, "They're real Marines. They don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines."   They were able to stay in the Corps and make a career of it.

I joined in the 70's and was known simply as a WM or Woman Marine. Now they no longer use that either. Only the term Marine in used.

You can learn more at www.womenmarines.org

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)