Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Calming Products for Kids.

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM
  • 19 Replies

HAs anyone used these naturakl calming products for kids. My sis told me about them at Sprouts. Do they work and which do you use. Suppose to calm child down for bed and some promote focus.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lorililly
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM

i have never heard of them ill have to look that up

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I always massaged my kids if they needed calming before bed. 

srichtermom
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I know Hyland's makes a product for calming that is safe for both adults and children.  I haven't used it but I have used some of their other homeopathic products and were really pleased with them.  Here's a link for you:  http://www.hylands.com/products/productmain2.php

On the left hand side of the webpage, you can pick which category.  The calming products are under sleep/stress.

ashka88
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM

We drink Chamomile tea before bed, its calming and caffeine free!

sharebearII
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM
Massage. Hypnosis... Music... Sleepytime tea.
Randi02
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Bath Bombs! I took this picture earlier just to show a friend, but I make them for my kids. You can make them into fancier shapes, but when I'm in a hurry I just use an ice cube tray. These ones are grapefruit, but for bedtime I use lavender and they are SO relaxing. They are each 1 ounce, so both of my kids get to drop one in the tub.

Other than that, after each bath I give them both a massage with coconut oil.

Don't have the TV on an hour before bed. Quiet activities like reading etc.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Addiemom
by on May. 3, 2010 at 3:20 PM

My son his hyperactive and we give him calming drops every morning. I do notice that he is a little more focused and not as angry when we has his "meds". I'm hoping to never have to use a prescription add/adhd med. I don't know if that is why you are looking into them or just for bedtime etc.

Addiemom
by on May. 3, 2010 at 3:21 PM

How do you make these? And how are they on sensitive skin? I would love to make some for my kids since they can't have most bath stuff.

Quoting Randi02:

Bath Bombs! I took this picture earlier just to show a friend, but I make them for my kids. You can make them into fancier shapes, but when I'm in a hurry I just use an ice cube tray. These ones are grapefruit, but for bedtime I use lavender and they are SO relaxing. They are each 1 ounce, so both of my kids get to drop one in the tub.

Randi02
by on May. 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM

1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/4 - 1/2 tsp oil (I use almond or coconut, organic extra virgin)
12-25 drops of essential oil (NOT scented)
Colour (if you want it)
Water in a dropper or spray bottle.

Mix the BS and CA, add the oil and mix. Add the essential oils and mix again... some fizzing is normal. If you want colour, add it now... if not, just start adding water slowly while mixing. You don't want to add too much, or they won't fizz in the tub. Just enough that you can grab a handful, squeeze and have it hold the shape.
Then you can use a melon baller, tennis ball, candy moulds, ice cube tray... whatever you want to shape it. Pack it firmly and let it sit. It will rise up a bit. Once it's dry on top, take them out and let the rest of them dry on rice paper, a plate etc. Then bag them up, or put them in an air tight container.

They are great for sensitive skin, especially if you use an olive or coconut oil. They are really easy to make, and smell super yummy.

I use coloured sugar crystals to add colour to them. I got them at a health food store and they use natural dyes, so there's nothing artificial.

Quoting Addiemom:

How do you make these? And how are they on sensitive skin? I would love to make some for my kids since they can't have most bath stuff.

Quoting Randi02:

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Addiemom
by on May. 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Thanks for the recipe!!!! I am going to get everything to make them this week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)