Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:58 PM
  • 27 Replies

So I was at work today (I am a manager for a Dairy Queen) and I let out a long sigh just thinking about what I had to do when I got home. And one guy said hey whats wrong? I said oh I'm just exhausted! This girl who is 17 says well.. you just got here how could you be exhausted? I say because I have a 3 yr old that why lol. She said well I watched my brothers and sisters last night so I win. I just stood there with my mouth open. Seriously? WTF.. I am so tired of hearing other people tell me that " I know how you feel I practically raised my brother/sister." Ugh it is not the same thing! 

-Gina

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherry132
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Uh yeah it is. I raised my sister and I'm now the mother of a 16 and 11 year old. Yeah it's very much the same only with my sister I had no one and I was twenty years younger.

ozade8
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:02 AM

No it isn't the same, you don't feel the same kind of love for a sibling that you do with your own child...it is NOT the same thing!

glitterteaz
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:06 AM

popcorn 

avajeansmomma
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Yeah there are exceptions. But this girl doesn't she worked the night she said she watched them. My step-sister says the same thing and she baby sat for her brother like once a week and says she "raised him".

Quoting sherry132:

Uh yeah it is. I raised my sister and I'm now the mother of a 16 and 11 year old. Yeah it's very much the same only with my sister I had no one and I was twenty years younger.

-Gina

tericared
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Quoting glitterteaz:

popcorn 

Should be a good one......

margarita time

Every asshole who ever chanted 'Drill baby drill' should have to report to the Gulf coast today for cleanup duty. -Bill Maher

Dawn4175
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2010 at 12:09 AM

It's not the same thing, but that doesn't make your job of raising your daughter harder. 

Baby sitting is a completely different story, but imagine trying to raise a sibling when you're just a child yourself.  At least you chose to become a mother. 

onefootcutiepie
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Lol! Tit for tats are always amusing! No, babysitting your siblings is not the same thing as being a mother. Get real. Some people do actually raise their siblings and have an exhausting teenaged existence. Why you felt the need to engage in a pissing contest with this teenager is beyond me. I would have laughed at her and let it go, she'll understand one day, as most figure out. :) Hope you get some rest soon!

glitterteaz
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I personally do not think that baby sitting a sibling and raising a child are compareable! I have done both they weren't even close!

avajeansmomma
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I understand there are people who actually do raise their siblings. The people who I am talking about don't. Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I am talking about the people who don't actually raise them. People who claim to and think that they know everything because they have siblings that they watch from time to time. Also I never complained I just sighed.. And of course she had to say those things and say "I win". If she said like oh im tired to because I was up watching my brothers/sisters I'd be like yeah. She was just rude.

Quoting Dawn4175:

It's not the same thing, but that doesn't make your job of raising your daughter harder. 

Baby sitting is a completely different story, but imagine trying to raise a sibling when you're just a child yourself.  At least you chose to become a mother. 

-Gina

sherry132
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Babysitting is different but there are siblings out there that actually are raising their younger siblings. I got stuck with my sister when my mom got very sick. She came to live with me at the age of 14 and I was 19. Before that my parents were never around much. They worked all the time. I took care of my sister from the day she was born until she graduated from college. I even helped pay her way through college while I worked two jobs. If you ask my sister who raised her she will tell you it was me. She tells our parents that all the time.

Babysitting on occasion is not raising. Raising is when you nurture, pay the bills, make sacrifices, etc. Perhaps you should explain the difference to this person who upset you. It might help them understand.

Quoting avajeansmomma:

Yeah there are exceptions. But this girl doesn't she worked the night she said she watched them. My step-sister says the same thing and she baby sat for her brother like once a week and says she "raised him".

Quoting sherry132:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)