Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeless Teens (Vent and advice)

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:20 AM
  • 18 Replies

I don't know what to do. About a wk ago a friend of my sons, went to another state looking for a job because he couldn't find one here. Now he is stuck in that state homeless, no job and no money. So we said he can live here until things get better because his no good mom won't help him. He is 18 but wow.

Then today I got a knock on the door by another friend of my sons who needs to a place to live because his parents said they can't afford another person to feed so now he is 18. He can take care of himself they think.  Of course, he doesn't have a job or any money to help him.

Then a hour ago, I get phone call from a teen girl who is 17and preggo that needs a place to live. Her mom let her move back here while her mom lives in Las vegas. Her mom can't help her, because she is living here and there.

So I have 3 homeless teens, that needs a place to live. I have a 3 bedroom place and a family of 4. I don't have room for everyone. I don't have money to feed them all. My hubby will be laid of at the end of July. So we need to save money, because there is no jobs out there after this one is done. I can't turn these kids out on the streets. I have no clue what to do.  I called couple of churches, but they say that they are dry because of so many families out of work.

Does anyone have any ideas what i can do to help these kids?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
college.mom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:30 AM

It depends on where you are I was homeless at the age of 17, I stayed in a domestic violence shelter.  Good luck!

1Giovanni
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Quoting college.mom:

It depends on where you are I was homeless at the age of 17, I stayed in a domestic violence shelter.  Good luck!

We have one but only for women and childern that has been domestic abused. Not just teens that don't have a place to live.

MoM.i.aM
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM
Where exactly are they? What state?
1Giovanni
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Quoting MoM.i.aM:

Where exactly are they? What state?

Oregon

NearSeattleMom
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 1:50 AM

There are homeless shelters around here.  Do you have homeless shelters there?

What a sad situation.

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

1Giovanni
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

What a sad situation.

No we don't, they just closed it. NO Money they clame.

CoeyG
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:12 AM

At 18 one is a legal adult.  Their parents no longer have to be financially responsible for them and while it seems cruel and terrible to send one's child packing, in this economy you do what you've got to do to take care of the family.  When my daughter was 18 she already had a job and was helping to pay the rent and purchasing her own clothing/needs.  She had to learn how to work and pay bills because I couldn't afford to support her and myself on what I made.  Yeah her father did send child support but even that didn't pay for everything.  Now at 24 she shares the apartment with me, pays half the rent and bills and while she could make it on her own she likes the idea of having money in the bank, especially since she is "socking" money away into cds and eventually will start up a 401 when she builds up her "nest egg" a bit more.  There is very little you can do, these aren't children any longer, You can point them in the direction of Fast Food places to apply, convienent stores, digging ditches or working on farms.  Stop enabling them, give them addresses to homeless shelters in the area and wish them luck...

NearSeattleMom
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

What a sad situation.

Where do you live? 

Is it really that hard for teenagers to find work?  You'd think they'd be able to find some entry-level job somewhere and share an apartment or something.

I definitely wouldn't let teenagers without jobs or school move into my house . . .

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

1Giovanni
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

What a sad situation.

Where do you live? 

Is it really that hard for teenagers to find work?  You'd think they'd be able to find some entry-level job somewhere and share an apartment or something.

I definitely wouldn't let teenagers without jobs or school move into my house . . .

Yes it is. In our town jobs are scarce. The ones that do open family ppl are fighting over them. They all have a Highschool diplomas. They will be starting college next year. Its just now until then we need to figure out.

Well, I have a hard time with not allowing them to move in because I was one of those teens that was kicked out and no place to go. If one person didn't help me I would probably be dead. No, I can't with a clear conscience send these kids out on the streets. Especially the one that is going to be a mom. The guys, I might have a lead on where they can go, but not sure how it will work out yet.

Ehukai
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:51 AM

I do believe that there should be social service programs available to the 17 yr old girl because she is pregnant.  The boys should make an effort to find a job, any job and help with your grocery bill. Encourage them to save enough to share an apartment together. Always tell them that college is always the best investment for their future. Alot of grants out there for them! 

Ehukai

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)