Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Children and Allergies

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM
  • 20 Replies

My son is 3 years old, and is 26lbs. He has allergies. The doctor had me put him on childrens Claritin but he throws it up everytime. Just the medicine too, he doesn't continue to throw up after that. Well, dr switched him to the off brand of the nasal spray flonase.... well, we've been using it and it seems like he's getting another sinus infection from constantly being plugged.

My question is, what do you guys give you kids, or have prescriptions for, for allergies? Mind you, my son is a small 3 year old. He's only been in 24 month clothing since December, and his bday is in April. Most of the clothing is still too big around the waist.

I have allergies too and I use both claritin and nasonex. I have to, and somedays, they still aren't controlled. But, what more can I do. I'm pregnant and using a netty pot ten times a day is NOT an option. It's also not an option for my son. He'd never sit through something like that.

So, any ideas?

also, we don't know what are allergies are. Allergy testing isn't covered, and our doc doesn't want to put us through something like that unless he can't find anything to control them...

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilasmommy418
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:35 AM

my daughter takes Zyrtec

ForeverInLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM

nobody's kids have allergies?

msdlm937
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM

My son's pediatrician prescribed him Singulair. Other than making him drowsy, it works great. He initially prescribed Zyrtec, but our insurance wouldn't pay for it.

Gretchen2876
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I haven't tried anything yet, but all of my friends seem to stick to Benedryl.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM

My dd got tested around age 6 or so.  She tested negative for all the foods, but positive for many others, dogs, cats, dust mites, mold, trees, pollen etc.  She does well up here in Wisconsin but when we lived in Atlanta the pollen was terrible there.  She uses Zyrtec when ever necessary but not that often.  Her friends cat bothers her, my in laws cat does.  A few weeks ago she was sneezing a lot so for about 10 days she took Zyrtec.  Her testing was done on both arms.  She used to also have a nose spray and I can't remember the name.  I don't think it helped that much really.  She is 16 now. 

I was allergic to over 100 things at age 5 including some foods.  I was bad and sick a LOT so I got shots for 3 years.  It really really helped tremendously. None of my testing or shots were covered.  My parents had to pay for it all. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

CoeyG
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM

You might try home made saline drops...

http://www.cpnonline.org/CRS/CRS/pa_nasalirr_pep.htm

mrs.phillips123
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM

My son is a little over two, he weighs 37 lbs. our dr prescribed the childrens benadryl. we give him the meltaway tabs and he has no side affects from it and does great on it! maybe give that a try?

ShadowRaven
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

My ds was put on Claritin when he was 9 months. We tried it for over 6 months, but it never worked for him. We use Benedryl (store brand) now and it works much better. He's about to turn 2, weighs 33lbs and I give him 1/2-3/4 tsp.

If he gets really bad, I'll also make homemade saline drops (the link that CoeyG gave is the same recipe that I use), squirt a couple of drops in each nostril and just let everything drain.

ForeverInLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Thanks Coey,

I just looked over that page and Hunter wouldn't understand to 'sniff and blow' lol. He can blow his nose, but he doesn't know what sniffing is. lol. he's goofy. I do use little noses on him to try to loosen up anything and then have him blow after a while. Helps a little but not much.

I guess I am looking for a way to help control his allergies, and I really don't want something that's going to make him drowsy. He's starting 3 yr school this fall and the last thing I need is an extra crabby three yr old. He has a speech delay and they need to have children who can fully particpate or it won't really help much. Plus, we try to hold off nap until noon because when he starts school, he'll have to be up at 6:30 to eat, dress, potty, teeth (not in that order) and be out waiting for the bus. School starts at 8 and doesn't get done until 10:45. i say he won't be home until closer to 11 and then he needs to eat some lunch before nap can happen, by that time it will most likely be around 11:45-12. So...

Plus, he needs to be able to work off energy during the day so he sleeps better at night. Right now he wakes up in the middle of the night and wants to crawl in bed with me and we need to nix this before baby comes in oct.

Thank you for the suggestions though. I'm going to bring it back up to his doctor. We can't do allergy testing though because i simply can't afford it. Ins will not pay for it no matter waht and I know it gets expensive.  I can verify he's not allergic to cats or dogs though... we have both and his allergies are never worse around the animals.... only since the spring.. I'm thinking pollen or some other outside thing. Maybe even grass. he was playing in it all day yesterday (with the sprinkler) and his nose was constantly running....

mrs.phillips123
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM

what we do is give him his medicine about 30 min before bedtime every day. regardless of how hes feeling. that way it prevents it during the day. its made a huge difference, hes not drowsy or super hyper. pretty much has no affect on him except helping him feel better!

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Thanks Coey,

I just looked over that page and Hunter wouldn't understand to 'sniff and blow' lol. He can blow his nose, but he doesn't know what sniffing is. lol. he's goofy. I do use little noses on him to try to loosen up anything and then have him blow after a while. Helps a little but not much.

I guess I am looking for a way to help control his allergies, and I really don't want something that's going to make him drowsy. He's starting 3 yr school this fall and the last thing I need is an extra crabby three yr old. He has a speech delay and they need to have children who can fully particpate or it won't really help much. Plus, we try to hold off nap until noon because when he starts school, he'll have to be up at 6:30 to eat, dress, potty, teeth (not in that order) and be out waiting for the bus. School starts at 8 and doesn't get done until 10:45. i say he won't be home until closer to 11 and then he needs to eat some lunch before nap can happen, by that time it will most likely be around 11:45-12. So...

Plus, he needs to be able to work off energy during the day so he sleeps better at night. Right now he wakes up in the middle of the night and wants to crawl in bed with me and we need to nix this before baby comes in oct.

Thank you for the suggestions though. I'm going to bring it back up to his doctor. We can't do allergy testing though because i simply can't afford it. Ins will not pay for it no matter waht and I know it gets expensive.  I can verify he's not allergic to cats or dogs though... we have both and his allergies are never worse around the animals.... only since the spring.. I'm thinking pollen or some other outside thing. Maybe even grass. he was playing in it all day yesterday (with the sprinkler) and his nose was constantly running....

Wife to Matt and Momma 2 yr old Latham James and another little boy on the way, Lane Jason due in July! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)