Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Help Needed!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:24 PM
  • 3 Replies

My son will be 3 next month. I had started trying to introduce the potty a long time ago and he wasn't interested at all. About 2 months ago I tried and he peed in the potty!! I was so excited and hoped that we were at a turning point. Since then if I take him to the potty all day long he will go pee and stay dry all day. He has never pooped in the potty though. Trouble is he won't tell me when he needs to go pee. So if I get busy and forget to take him he just pees his pants. Is he just not ready yet? I have been doing Pulls Ups but today I put him in regular undies so he can feel what it's like to wet himself. He just pooped in those. UUUGGHH!! So frustrating!!! And he doesn't have a set poop schedule so I don't know how to go about getting him to poop in the potty too. I guess I am just super overwhelmed right now. Any ideas??

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
zoocrewmama
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM

My son will be 3 in august and i am having the same issue. I am going to skip pull-us and go to undies. he does have a fairly regular poo schedule. What I am going to try is to leave the potty in the living room where it is visible to him all the time and set a timer to ask him every 30 min. That way if I get busy, I have a backup reminder. I know that it's not really an answer but I do feel your frustration. GOOD LUCK!!

ericagwen
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM

He'll let you know when he's ready.  My youngest turns 3 in July and just all of a sudden last week started going to the potty on his own.  Taking off his pants and getting on the potty all by himself.  I made him a sticker chart to encourage him and he gets lots of praise, applause and high fives as well.  He went from two stickers on Mon to 6 on Fri.  He's only had one poop accident since we started the chart and stays dry during his naps! 

There really is no reason to push it.  Every kid learns to use the potty when they're ready.  Just be there to encourage him when he does!

NearSeattleMom
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Quoting ericagwen:

He'll let you know when he's ready.  My youngest turns 3 in July and just all of a sudden last week started going to the potty on his own.  Taking off his pants and getting on the potty all by himself.  I made him a sticker chart to encourage him and he gets lots of praise, applause and high fives as well.  He went from two stickers on Mon to 6 on Fri.  He's only had one poop accident since we started the chart and stays dry during his naps! 

There really is no reason to push it.  Every kid learns to use the potty when they're ready.  Just be there to encourage him when he does!

I agree with this mom.  He'll do it when he's ready.  It's hard to be patient, but it's true.  :)

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)