Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Away Summer Camps for 6 yr. olds?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 6 yr. old son has sever hearing loss and speech delay. His speech therapist mention about a 3 wk. speech camp that she thought would help him a lot. I know its a great camp because my brother went there over 20 yrs ago. I just can't see myself sending my son off by himself across the state for 3 wks when he has never been away from me for longer then 24 hrs. I also think he is just to young. I will think about it when he is 8 or 9 but 6.

Would you send your child to away camp when he/she is 6 yr. old?

What age do you think you would allow him/her to go to away camp?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilblufrog
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I probably wouldn't do an away camp yet either. My daughter will be 3 1/2 next summer and I plan on sending her to a camp but it is half days and located at my job. LOL.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I didn't, but I have a friend that sent her dd at 6 to camp for 2 weeks.  She loved it.  When she got older she went for a month.  I remember going to camp and there were 6 year olds.  Sometimes someone would have to be sent home, or the counselor would being a little sister over to our cabin to have the older sister talk to her and tell her everything will be ok without Mom and Dad.  That usually worked. 

I would say 9-10 is a good age.  I went around there too.  I did have my kids go to sleepovers at friends homes around 5-6.  They had friends that wouldn't do sleepovers even at 11-12 though so my girls always had to go to their homes since they wouldn't be away from Mom and Dad even for a night at that age. 

CoeyG
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM

My daughter wasn't 6, she was 7 when she went to sleep away Girl Scout Camp for the first time, albeit I was there the first week because being assistant leader of my daughter's troop I felt I should also volunteer for camp each year myself.  However I rarely saw my daughter since I was with the older girls (high school) at the end of my week that first year I was very surprised to find that my daughter had already begun to sign herself up for another two weeks!  Turns out that her favorite part of GS was camp in the summer, two sometimes three sessions!  I would say see if you can "try" it for a week and see how it goes.

tericared
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Nope, no way, no how.....Maybe at 10 years old....maybe

SweetMama823
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I'd be afraid that's far and being 6 is still too small IMO. I'm sure their are lots of local summer programs in your area. I'd wait til he's about 10 to leave alone across the state.

moma.BEAR
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I would do it if I could volunteer there. I am just to nervous to let my child be away from home at any age. Maybe when he is 18 I will let him stay the night somewhere, he is only 2 years old now. lol  I say this jokingly but a part of me is worried now:(~

simple frown 

Robyn218
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM

i would let him go, but I would be packed in his suitcase...   NO WAY! 

AND!   Would he be brave enough to be away from you for that long with strangers? 

My oldest daughter is mildly retarded and went to camp away from home every summer for developmentally disabled kids.  SHE DIDN'T GO UNTIL SHE WAS 9 and I had a really hard time letting her go that young. 

I had a Hell of a time with her gone. I worried constantly, called the camp and drove them crazy, and drove myself nuts....  She was just fine. She loved it! She went every year until she was 19.  After that, she went as a counselor for a few years...  ,

I think 6 is a few years too young.

1Giovanni
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I am happy I am not the only one that thinks 6 is to young. I just found out with some research that we do have a day camp near by for sever speech. I don't mine driving a little ways for a couple of hrs then, send him away. lol. Now it makes me wonder why his speech therapist thought of the away summer camp  instead of the day camp. ummm.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM

6????  NO freaking way.He is a baby. He would be with strangers and far from home. NO NO No

moma.BEAR
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:11 PM

He could be affiliated, is the day camp with an accredited organization, maybe he just did not know, who knows???? Good research Momma!

Quoting 1Giovanni:

I am happy I am not the only one that thinks 6 is to young. I just found out with some research that we do have a day camp near by for sever speech. I don't mine driving a little ways for a couple of hrs then, send him away. lol. Now it makes me wonder why his speech therapist thought of the away summer camp  instead of the day camp. ummm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)