Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ARGH! Potty training! (vent)

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok. this is getting annoying... my son is starting to potty train now.... but, we have a problem. He wants to sit down EVERY 5 MINUTES! Yes, this is a problem.... I don't have every 5 minutes to sit with him when i have other things to do..... I took away the big potty because before it was JUST so he could flush the toilet and wash his hands.... I don't think so.

Now, he's got his little potty down here and everytime he's done, he wants a NEW diaper.... every 5 minutes.... I keep making him put the original back on if it is still clean. btw, he has undies, but only 12 pair or so.... he went through them all already.... Yes, i have a washer and dryer, and I am backed up in laundry by a bit. Plus, some of his skivvies are missing because he thinks he needs to wear them no matter what... even on his head... yeah, ewe.

I'm just getting frustrated with him. With the potty thing more or less. I don't think he's understanding why we pee in the toilet... oh, and, i have to put the tp way up too because he'll grab some and wipe EVERY TIME... even if he hasn't gone poo. Which, he won't poo until he's in a diaper or clothing, or undies.... or the bath.... blech!

I just needed to vent. Its a struggle with him....

by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AngelicaRenee
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I have a journal on my page if you are interested in reading it. I don't know if it would help or not but when my son was first potty training I had it so he was able to take himself and we had no problems. good luck!

Randi02
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM

No diapers at all if you're potty training. If my child acted like yours, it would be bare butt. Let him have accidents so he learns what it feels like.

It takes some time and commitment. You need to dedicate a few days or a week to helping him.

It doesn't really sound like he's ready though, after reading your entire post.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

shanny35
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:23 PM

There is no problem with holding off on the potty training thing for a while. Like Randi said above, no more diapers once you start undies, it gives mixed signals. Walmart you can get like a 20 pack for $10 or so.

Good luck! It will be rewarding.....eventually!

ForeverInLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Randi02:

No diapers at all if you're potty training. If my child acted like yours, it would be bare butt. Let him have accidents so he learns what it feels like.

It takes some time and commitment. You need to dedicate a few days or a week to helping him.

It doesn't really sound like he's ready though, after reading your entire post.

he knows what poo feels like and he doesn't care.

he knows what pee feels like and them he wants to be changed out of it... that's why we went through underwear so fast, because he would pee a little, then run to the toilet. he would pee in them two minutes after he peed in teh toilet, and a lot.... i saw what he did in the toilet.

there are some days, especially when we are at a friends house....he'll grab his crotch and dance around because he has to pee. sit him on the toilet and he's good to go! he pees and is happy.

and Shanny. forgive i cannot see your post anymore, but our walmart doesn't have that cheap undies... and he's got a small body. i did buy a pair of the walmart brand (faded glory) undies in the 2t-3t and they fall off him... I had started buying him the prints. Like Buzz and Cars and so on hoping that maybe if they were colorful, they'd help him in potty training..... his idea of potty training, pee in pants, THEN try to pee in toilet!

I was hoping to have him mostly trained by fall so when he would start 3 yr school, they wouldn't have much issue. they only take them to the bathroom one time while they are there. and that is about an hour after they get to school. so, he has to wait until he gets home to go pee then. i thought if we could get him trained, he'd be able to better hold it by then. his class is for speech therapy, and he was/is showing signs of WANTING and being ready to potty train. We just have a major language barrier. MAJOR one...

it's still frustrating. He goes pee when he wakes up for the day and for nap. and before bed at night. and through out the day.... and tht is all on the potty, but he's also in that flushing stage.... he even tried to flush a cat down the toilet! mind you, he never sees the flush, we close the lid before flushing, at least i do.

mama2my3boys00
by on May. 25, 2010 at 2:42 AM
My son will be 4 the beginning of sept. I've always talked to him about using the potty but he was always refusing to try. Never once did I force him! Yesterday I was changing him he had poopoo well he was a lil red on his 'balls' do I put meds and boxers on well since then he hasn't had a diaper on. He just was getting up by himself to use the potty so he pretty much trained himself! My other 2 sons were potty trained by 3 but I kinda forced them. This mama is soooo proud lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by on May. 25, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Quoting mama2my3boys00:

My son will be 4 the beginning of sept. I've always talked to him about using the potty but he was always refusing to try. Never once did I force him! Yesterday I was changing him he had poopoo well he was a lil red on his 'balls' do I put meds and boxers on well since then he hasn't had a diaper on. He just was getting up by himself to use the potty so he pretty much trained himself! My other 2 sons were potty trained by 3 but I kinda forced them. This mama is soooo proud lol

OT----- I see you posted this by Cafemom Mobile.... how you get that? I have a blackberry and I want to get on cafemom with it sooooooo bad!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)