Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PPP and responsibility of others

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM
  • 19 Replies

So, I was doing my homework the other day and there was a section in the chapter I was reading about Andrea Yates. It talked about her family history, and the disregard her husband seemed to show to her situation and the situation of his children. He wanted her to homeschool- so she did- she'd been warned not to have any more children after the fourth by a doctor, but her husband declined birth control, because he 'wanted as many as nature would allow'. She was only allowed two hours of personal time per week. Her original conviction was overturned and she is in a mental hospital today with a "guilty for reasons of insanity" verdict.

Here's my question. Why was she the only one held accountable?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyce225
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:41 PM

She is the one who drowned her 5 children?

Brysonsgrammy08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Good question!  All I can think of is because we all make our own choices in life.  She could have stood up to her husband and not had so many children.  She could also have told him to forget homeschooling, she needed some time for herself.

Being a psych nurse, I completely understand her problem.  I am not judging, just saying what the law may have been thinking.

Connie04
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I wondered the same thing.  It seems that he imposed his will on her and she couldn't or didn't want to refuse.  Maybe she had the attitude that the man wears the pants in the family and makes all the decisions.  At any rate, she is the one who killed her children, and that's all the court is concerned about.  It's too bad that she wasn't able to get the help she needed, maybe those precious kids would still be alive.  I read that he's remarried and I wonder if he realizes what part he played in that tragedy.  He lost all his children and his wife because he didn't want to see how sick she was.  It's just so sad, anyway you look at it.

margroc
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Because she's a woman?

Elyce225
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Ugh I just re-read her story.  What could they charge her husband with though? (I don't know anything about law) As horrible as he seemed to be to her he had no idea what she was planning or on impulse was going to do. If they charged him with being a bad husband they would have to charge half of America's husband with it too.

If he was any kind of decent human being he would be in a living hell right now. Ultimately she is responsible for her actions but I can definitely see why she did it.

msdlm937
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM

My grandma always told me that people always have choices. We may not like our choices, but they are our choices nonetheless. I don't know what her religious background was in regards to divorce, but she had the choice to leave him if she didn't agree. She could have told him no more kids and got on birth control. But ultimately, she drowned her kids. Not him. Do I think he was wrong for his beliefs? Yes. But she could have gotten out of the marriage and she didn't, for whatever reason.

Raintree
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Well, technically, I don't hope the man is suffering- in fact, it seems that he's in a place where he's happy. Remarried, and they have a little one. He's still in contact with Andrea, and they email/talk on the phone. The thing is though, if he knew of her diagnosis, then insisting that she stay home, etc. seems like a major risk.

And I mean- she was OUT of it. Delusional, thought that this was the only way to save her children from the devil, etc. I don't think she was in a place to make any responsible decisions.

Quoting Elyce225:

Ugh I just re-read her story.  What could they charge her husband with though? (I don't know anything about law) As horrible as he seemed to be to her he had no idea what she was planning or on impulse was going to do. If they charged him with being a bad husband they would have to charge half of America's husband with it too.

If he was any kind of decent human being he would be in a living hell right now. Ultimately she is responsible for her actions but I can definitely see why she did it.

Raintree
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Well, that would be true of a healthy person- not a delusional psychotic one.

Quoting msdlm937:

My grandma always told me that people always have choices. We may not like our choices, but they are our choices nonetheless. I don't know what her religious background was in regards to divorce, but she had the choice to leave him if she didn't agree. She could have told him no more kids and got on birth control. But ultimately, she drowned her kids. Not him. Do I think he was wrong for his beliefs? Yes. But she could have gotten out of the marriage and she didn't, for whatever reason.

msdlm937
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

That would be true. Morally, I think he should have been trying to get her help. But I don't think legally there is anything they could charge him with.

Quoting Raintree:

Well, that would be true of a healthy person- not a delusional psychotic one.

Quoting msdlm937:

tericared
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I always thought it was unfair...her life with him, and her being the only one held responsible...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)