Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I believe RSVP means to let us know if you can make it or not!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM
  • 10 Replies

Do people really understand that? Why when you send out a lot of invites for stuff do people think it's ok to not respond if they can make it or not. And it irks me even more when it's extended family that do this! ugh! its just to easy to send out an email or text or call now-a-days.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine86912
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM

i just assume if they dont respond they are not coming...i thought RSVPs were only for IF you were coming..

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I hate it when no one responds! If you are coming let me know, if you are not coming let me know! They can call, text, email, leave a facebook comment or message....I mean really now people!

Cara5
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

"What RSVP Means

The term RSVP comes from the French expression "répondez s'il vous plaît", meaning "please respond". If RSVP is written on an invitation it means the invited guest must tell the hostwhether or not they plan to attend the party. It does not mean to respond only if you're coming, and it does not mean respond only if you're notcoming (the expression "regrets only" is reserved for that instance). It means the host needs a definite head count for the planned event, and needs it by the date specified on the invitation." 

If the invitation says regrets only, then it means we will assume your coming unless you say otherwise. 

I think its terribly rude to ignore an invitation.  If you cant go, say so! 

CoeyG
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM

RSVP is abreviation for the french Respondez Sil Vous Plait which translated to english is Respond if you please or Please reply.  I figure that means to reply whether or not I'm attending and I consider it rude for someone not to reply either way.  I've had people not reply, made arrangement for only those who did reply and then had some who didn't reply show up!  I have gone ahead and made plans for everyone invited only to have a percentage of invitees not responsd and then not show up.  All it takes is a simple phone call "Sorry I can't come" "I'd love to come and will be there" or send an email or a personal message.   It's not rocket science.

Mommy2One881
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I know how you feel!! I'm still waiting for people to rsvp for my wedding. The envelope is already addressed and stamped. Just put your name on it, check yes or no and put it in the mail!! How hard is that. Ya, I could bi*ch about it all friggin day. I figure I'm just not going to worry too much about it. If you did not RSVP and you show you will not have any food to eat!!

sunshine86912
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:33 PM

oops, well guess im rude then..cuz i dont ever call to say im not coming, i only call to say if i am

so in my case...the answer is nope! didnt know RSVP meant tell you if I am not coming, next time I will google first.

Quoting CoeyG:

RSVP is abreviation for the french Respondez Sil Vous Plait which translated to english is Respond if you please or Please reply.  I figure that means to reply whether or not I'm attending and I consider it rude for someone not to reply either way.  I've had people not reply, made arrangement for only those who did reply and then had some who didn't reply show up!  I have gone ahead and made plans for everyone invited only to have a percentage of invitees not responsd and then not show up.  All it takes is a simple phone call "Sorry I can't come" "I'd love to come and will be there" or send an email or a personal message.   It's not rocket science.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I usually call if I can make it.  IF I can't, I do not call most of the time. 

Its better worded "Regrets only then IF they do not call you assume they are coming. 

SunnyJoJo
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I always thought RSVP meant to respond if I'm coming or respond if I'm not...

But what urks me the most is when people don't respond and you assume they aren't coming and then show up. Like really? would it have killed you to pick up your phone or send off an email at some point?

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.
Anything you want to, do it.
Want to change the world... There's nothing to it.

Robyn218
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I aways RSVP EVERY TIME!  Sometimes I feel like the only one.  I have lots of parties, etc...  (5 Kids, 3 Grands)   I hate calling to see if people are going to come...  One time I prepared Shish-Ka-Bob and only had enough out for the actual RSVP's. 

Then I was the bad guy...

ajnmadismommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I consistently send out invitations and NEVER get any responses...people just show up and it pisses me off because I need to know who's coming so I can plan for food.  My son's 1st bday party is next week and no one has rsvp'd!  They'll just show up I guess.  Same thing happened with my wedding, no one rsvp'd they just showed up...so irritating!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)