Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to pay someone?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM
  • 13 Replies

We have a friend of the family and a friend of his doing some yard work for us and washing our windows for us inside, and out.  They really need some extra money and we have the work that needs to be done.  What do I pay someone??? The yard work is to weed our beds, which by the way are very weed ridden.  They will put down the black weed gard and put mulch everywhere.  We have LOTS of beds all the way around our large house and a few extra beds in the side and front.  They are trimming all our bushes etc.  It will be around 2-3 days of work 8-9 hours a day for the 2 of them.  Our front beds are probably 20 ft by 20 ft 20 ft by 10 ft.  They are very large in the front.  Does $200 a day, $100 each per day, sound fair.  That is more than $10 an hour which is what I have paid in the past to my dd and her friends to do work like this.  That would mean $600 for the yard work, plus the windows. 

We also have floor to nearly ceiling windows that need cleaned inside and out and we have 30 and most are HUGE windows. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommasbabies77
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM
Well crap..can I come do it?

brujachavez
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

did you ask them how much money they want fot the work?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Call around and see what the going rate is for a professional in that business.  

Robyn218
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Sounds fair. I was going to say 10 bucks and hour for each.  Unless they're slow and stretch the job out....  then a fair price as you suggested sounds good.

CoeyG
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I would call around to find out the going rate for such jobs.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM

My friend told me just now that she is paying $350 for her windows so she said she would pay less for our friend, maybe $250. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 27, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I figured out $275 for windows.  I looked online and most say double the price of mulch for spreading.  I am NOT paying $730 for just spreading 25 yards of mulch.  I was thinking more like $250 which is $10 a yard.  That was an acceptable rate I read.  Then I was thinking $600 for the weeding, putting down the black weed preventer fabric and trimming.  It will take about 3 days to do just that.  SO, that would be $1125 total.  I told my dh this and waiting to hear if he thinks its an acceptable price.  I am going to tell him before he gets to far into it all and see if the guy doing the work thinks its acceptable.  I hope so.  IF not I guess I don't have to have him do the rest but I know he needs the money and will.  I don't want to pay too much and I don't want to pay too little. 

tericared
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

My friend told me just now that she is paying $350 for her windows so she said she would pay less for our friend, maybe $250. 

Why would you pay less for a friend?

Marimaru
by on May. 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM

It think I'd make sure it equalled out to at least $10 per person, as well as checking local rates.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 27, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Because he isn't paying any taxes or anything a business pays.  When you pay a business they are paying taxes, unemployment, workers comp insurance, rent for a building, employees etc. 

Quoting tericared:

Quoting atlmom2:

Why would you pay less for a friend?

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)