Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mexican detainee death ruled a homicide

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM
  • 21 Replies

Mexican detainee death ruled a homicide

By the CNN Wire Staff
June 3, 2010 -- Updated 0036 GMT (0836 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Medical examiner's office rules Anastasio Hernandez's death a homicide
  • Meth abuse and hypertension contributed to death, autopsy says
  • Border Patrol officials used a stun gun on Hernandez while deporting him
  • Mexico wants a thorough investigation

(CNN) -- The San Diego Medical Examiner's Office on Wednesday ruled as a homicide the death of Mexican man who was beaten and tasered while in the custody of U.S. border agents.

Anastasio Hernandez Rojas died of cardiac arrest, an autopsy found, but methamphetamine abuse and hypertension were also contributing factors.

The Mexican government said the autopsy results "support the strong condemnation the government of Mexico made from the outset, publicly demanding through diplomatic channels a thorough and impartial investigation."

Mexico has asked for an explanation about what happened to Hernandez while he was in U.S. custody.

The altercation occurred Friday night at the San Ysidro Port of Entry when U.S Customs and Border Protection agents were trying to deport Hernandez to Mexico, San Diego and federal authorities said. Hernandez became combative, the officials said, and force was used to restrain him.

"One of the agents used a baton to administer to the subject to get him to stop fighting," said San Diego homicide Capt. Jim Collins. "When that was not successful, they used the Taser."

Hernandez stopped breathing shortly after being tasered, San Diego police said in a statement Saturday.

Notimex, the Mexican government-run news agency, said the man was brain dead and doctors proposed disconnecting him from life-support.

He died Monday afternoon at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center in Chula Vista, California, a hospital spokeswoman and police said.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM

IF meth and hypertension were contributing factors how can they rule it a homocide?

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Why didn't he just surrender? 

momof3inTN
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM

He abused meth and he died while they were trying to deport him. Would he have died had he not had hypertension and been a meth addict? If those are the contributing factors in his death, then, IMO, it's not a homicide except in the fact that he did it to himself.

Elyce225
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Oh well, shouldn't have been here in the first place.

lovetocook64
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Quoting Elyce225:

this is bs!!!!!!!! so if someone is illegal who cares if they die,what if you was in another country illegally and you died and someone told your family ,well who cares she should not have been here anyways! how rude,my kids are part mexican and I hate it when people think the way you do,

SunnyJoJo
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM

yeah I don't get it

Quoting atlmom2:

IF meth and hypertension were contributing factors how can they rule it a homocide?

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.
Anything you want to, do it.
Want to change the world... There's nothing to it.

Idiosyncratic
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

because they were not enough of a factor to be the medical reason of why he died...

It says meth abuse and hypertension were contributing factors which (to me) mean he was not on drugs at the time but past use has weakened the arteries around his heart and he had high blood pressure... but even with those factors he shouldn't of died from an "acceptable" amount of force used...

MovalMomsADMIN
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Quoting Elyce225:

an icebox where her heart use to be... woo

MovalMomsADMIN
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

honestly... i doubt most people back here in America will care... they don't see illegals as humans much anymore. tear*

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Quoting Idiosyncratic:

Quoting atlmom2:

because they were not enough of a factor to be the medical reason of why he died...

It says meth abuse and hypertension were contributing factors which (to me) mean he was not on drugs at the time but past use has weakened the arteries around his heart and he had high blood pressure... but even with those factors he shouldn't of died from an "acceptable" amount of force used...

If he had surrendered he wouldn't have been tazed either.  I can't believe meth and hypertension are not enough reason to rule his death not a homocide.  Force is NOT needed if a person doesn't fight. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)