Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you handle this?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM
  • 18 Replies

Ok my husband and i are getting a divorce....and im kinda on the fence about one thing....taxes. For those of you who have divorced, how did you handle the tax exemptions? With his first ex, she claims ODS....we have 2 kids. And i dont want to make his life hell....i just want a civil divorce and to get on with my life. I was thinking either every other year, or i claim one and he claims one...how have, or would you do this?

No we arent goin through lawyers because i dont want the hassle and extra expense. We are civil, and nothing is contested, so we are doing it the easy way

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oCyn
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM
I dunno
but here's
a
bump!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sirenabella
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Depends. We settled it by custody. I have physical custody so my son is with me all but 4 days a month. I spend the time and most of the money. I get to claim my son every year.

NearSeattleMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Seems to me that it would depend on several different things, like who has primary custody, if child support is being paid, etc.

On first glance, it seems that each of you being able to claim on exemption would only be fair, but I really have no idea.

Good luck.  I hope everything works out for you.

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I'm so sorry Amanda!

I don't have any divorce esperience, but am surrounded by people who do. My cousin lets her ex clain the kids because she gets a lot in child support. He's a good dad so she doesn't fight it. My brother and SIL are a different story. the kids are mostly with HER and brother's support is cheap, so he lets her clain the kids.

If the two of you are civil then I would ask him to switch every other year. Hope it all works out for you!

CoeyG
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Quoting missamanda86:

Ok my husband and i are getting a divorce....and im kinda on the fence about one thing....taxes. For those of you who have divorced, how did you handle the tax exemptions? With his first ex, she claims ODS....we have 2 kids. And i dont want to make his life hell....i just want a civil divorce and to get on with my life. I was thinking either every other year, or i claim one and he claims one...how have, or would you do this?

No we arent goin through lawyers because i dont want the hassle and extra expense. We are civil, and nothing is contested, so we are doing it the easy way

You say you're not going through lawyers that there is nothing contested...Can't say as I would recommend no lawyers because even the most amicable of divorces can turn nasty, especially where kids/money are concerned.  As far as taxes go, my ex claimed our daughter because of the child support, I claimed head of household.  Also however long  your divorce takes be sure to file jointly (even if it takes more than a year) because you don't want to end up paying when he files with deductions.  But again I'd go with a lawyer just to cover my butt

sharebearII
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Sorry to hear you're spltting up.   :(  

My mom had custody of me, and asked for no child support provided that my father would pay all my college expenses.   She got screwed.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Here it's typical to switch off every year. 

CoeyG
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Quoting sharebearII:

Sorry to hear you're spltting up.   :(  

My mom had custody of me, and asked for no child support provided that my father would pay all my college expenses.   She got screwed.

I asked for child support agreed it would end when Shannon reached 21 however he paid for all college costs including books until she turned 24.

jdrsmom4eva
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM

my friends mom is divorced and she would claim all the kids on her taxes because she was the one who had them all the time and took care of them so she claimed them. If you are unsure i would ask the person who does your taxes if you dont file them yourselves and if you do call a lawyer and ask them

missamanda86
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Im not going through a lawyer....i dont need that added expense and ive done this once before without lawyers and it was fine.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting missamanda86:

You say you're not going through lawyers that there is nothing contested...Can't say as I would recommend no lawyers because even the most amicable of divorces can turn nasty, especially where kids/money are concerned.  As far as taxes go, my ex claimed our daughter because of the child support, I claimed head of household.  Also however long  your divorce takes be sure to file jointly (even if it takes more than a year) because you don't want to end up paying when he files with deductions.  But again I'd go with a lawyer just to cover my butt

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)