Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just out of curiosity...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM
  • 49 Replies

I recently read through and responded on a post regarding what people thought and believed in regards to homosexuality. There were rules laid out in the beginning and everyone (for the most part) seemed to follow them so there was a great, civil discussion that took place. From that post and others that were not so civil on this or other "hot" topics, I came to wonder, why is it that in these arguments (primarily having to do with morality) Christians are required to have a logical, well thought out response with valid scriptures and/or other proofs to back them up, or else they are severely bashed and dismissed, while others with differing views (of any kind other than Christian) can simply state what they think or feel in a simple statement with no backing whatsoever, and get virtual high fives all around?

Now, like the post I mentioned above, I want to keep this discussion civil. No bashing! If you can't be civil, don't bother responding. I understand emotions get high on a lot of these topics and some may feel the need to defend themselves, but there is no need to do it in such a negative manner and put the other person down. I know it can be done, so let's all be adults here. :)

CafeMom Tickers
air forceamerican flag ribbontoddler girlttc

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I just simply put my opinion on things.  I'm not asked or forced to put scripture, proof or anything like that along with my opinion.  I'm also rarely bashed for my opinion and I get my own fair share of "virtual high fives" lol.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

rebeccasmommy09
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I'm not saying all replies end up this way, but reading through the replies it seems disproportionate. If a Christian simply states their belief, many times they are called on it to back up what they are saying. However, many of the non-Christian views seem to either be left alone all together or applauded. Maybe I'm just seeing it that way for some other reason, but that's why I posted this. I wanted to get other opinions from both Christian and non-Christian alike.  

Quoting jillbailey26:

I just simply put my opinion on things.  I'm not asked or forced to put scripture, proof or anything like that along with my opinion.  I'm also rarely bashed for my opinion and I get my own fair share of "virtual high fives" lol.

CafeMom Tickers

CoeyG
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM

The only proof I can relate as far as homosexuality are the ones I know.  As far as the Christians who claim "God says" since it is hearsay those who don't follow the bible who have read the bible want to know exactly where "God says".  I've read the bible more than once and have never seen any proof that "God says"...all I've seen is what "Man has written" which for me isn't proof.

rebeccasmommy09
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:12 PM

This post isn't about what you think of homosexuality. The point was to see if anyone else saw or had thoughts about Christians being required (more frequently at least) to back up what they say regarding ANY moral argument, and to have a solid thought process when they reply as opposed to a non-Christian reply that can just say whatever and nothing more is asked of them.

Quoting CoeyG:

The only proof I can relate as far as homosexuality are the ones I know.  As far as the Christians who claim "God says" since it is hearsay those who don't follow the bible who have read the bible want to know exactly where "God says".  I've read the bible more than once and have never seen any proof that "God says"...all I've seen is what "Man has written" which for me isn't proof.

CafeMom Tickers

Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:17 PM

When most (not saying all) Christians make a comment on homosexuality, they only site the bible... and even then, use Leviticus... which, if I remember correctly, we no longer live under...

It is almost like they have no mind of their own, only what is spelled out in that book and then that book has contradictions and false histories..

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Because the general thought is Christians don't have a brain of their own, so there has to be something controlling it, and the other readers want to know what it is. 

Della529
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM

If you will notice, it's the same group of Christians.  The first responder in this post, JillBailey26 is a Christian, but she doesn't act and write/say the things these others do.

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Thank you, lol.  While my opinion is definitely faith-based, I know scripture doesn't get very far.

I do quote it sometimes, but only in posts where it's being asked for or discussed already.  Then there's the one in my signature, but it's a good one :)

Quoting Della529:

If you will notice, it's the same group of Christians.  The first responder in this post, JillBailey26 is a Christian, but she doesn't act and write/say the things these others do.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

kstep
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Wait till all these "Christian's" have a gay child...  Thou shall not judge, right?  But they do!!   Bet most of these "Sunday" Christians  judge people who are not like them but watch Ellen every chance they get!!   God loves all and all should love who they please!!!!!

And your right Kaelansmom, they are like brainwashed I live in the center of the buckle on bible belt  and they talk about people one minute then talk about what happened in church on Sunday!!  WTF  I say....

CoeyG
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Quoting rebeccasmommy09:

This post isn't about what you think of homosexuality. The point was to see if anyone else saw or had thoughts about Christians being required (more frequently at least) to back up what they say regarding ANY moral argument, and to have a solid thought process when they reply as opposed to a non-Christian reply that can just say whatever and nothing more is asked of them.

Quoting CoeyG:

boy you missed the bulk of my response didn't you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)