Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

DH's mom died in November upon dealing with the funeral arrangements we found out his uncle (moms brother) didn't pay off the 4 plots he was suppose to (he put a fence around his farm with it) so there was a lien against them..The funeral home said we could just buy them off for 3000 dollars..Well DH and his sis dug deep into their pockets to pay the plots off..The Uncle said he would pay them back ASAP, DH even said not to worry about the 1500 for his moms grave just to pay his back, no problem..well its been 6 months and still nothing..but he calls DH last night to tell him he just bought a 2011 Camaro and a whole lot of other stuff..it infuriated DH that he didn't even mention the money..what would you do?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Robyn218
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

TELL UNCLE YOU ARE VERY ANGRY!

danie24
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM

If it infuriated me.. I would tell him.

I would also demand he pay me the money he owes NOW or he can deal with my lawyer.

Connie04
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM

He'll have to bring it up with the uncle (very awkward) and if he's not good for it, ever, you may have to just cut your losses and take it as a hard lesson to learn.  Usually, situations like this don't work out the way they're supposed to.  But, I hope this situation is different - good luck!

Oneatatimemommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Ask him for the money!  He obviously has it.

LetsRoll
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Quoting danie24:

I would also demand he pay me the money he owes NOW or he can deal with my lawyer.

bump

Beth53432.gif picture by JeanninesSigBucket

onefootcutiepie
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I would have not expected that they he would pay you back for the lien. I mean, if he wasn't good for it to begin with, what would make you think he'd be good for it later? My parents always taught me to lend money never expecting to get it back and if I couldn't lend it with that in mind, I shouldn't. Relationships were more important than money and it was up to me to refuse to let money ruin them. I'd straight up ask for the money and then let it go.

BleedinHeartMom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Ya know I'm the same way..if I lend something to family I usually don't expect it back up to a certain amount of course..but he was like oh man I will pay ya back, I didnt know it was that much blah blah..if he didn't say he was gonna pay it back thats one thing but to keep harping on it the whole day is another..

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

I would have not expected that they he would pay you back for the lien. I mean, if he wasn't good for it to begin with, what would make you think he'd be good for it later? My parents always taught me to lend money never expecting to get it back and if I couldn't lend it with that in mind, I shouldn't. Relationships were more important than money and it was up to me to refuse to let money ruin them. I'd straight up ask for the money and then let it go.

Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM
Quoting danie24:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I'd let it go. He didn't pay back then, I would have known he wouldn't pay up now. $1500 isn't enough to stop life. What your hubby did was loan money (without actually loaning). The rule of life is to never loan money you can't afford to part with permanently. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)