Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A friend of mine....

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm not too sure how to handle this but I have a good friend that lives 2 blocks away from me so we pretty much see each other on a daily basis.  She has a 2 /2 year old girl and mine is almost 4.  The problems is, her daughter is mean as heck!  She constantly hits, smacks and pinches my daughter for no absolute reason.  Sometimes my friend will yell at her for it or occasionally spank her.  But nothing has ever gotten accomplished.  As soon as she's done getting in trouble she will almost immediately do it again. I just want to smack her every time she hits Hailey LOL.  I really like my friend and don't want to end a good friendship but I'm not sure what to do.  Would you just give it some time and see if it's just her age?  UGH!  I'm in a tough situation and not sure how to handle it!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
messa02
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I would probably give it some time and see if it was her age. My daughter went through a hitting stage and luckily the moms around me knew it was just her age and let their kid play with her. She grew out of it.

Brandyh
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:55 PM

well if it happens at her house I'd say well it looks like its time for us to go and leave.

If its at your house next time she does that tell your friend this is a big issue for you and since your on your home turf as much as it sucks you need to ask her to leave so that the behavior ends.  OR go to  a neutral area and as soon as her daughter gets all bite/pinch/hit happy steer your daughter in a different direction and go have fun

CoeyG
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Hitting isn't going to stop a child from hitting, it is only going to reinforce the idea that hitting is okay.  What needs to be done is for both mothers to seperate their children and the 2 year old needs some discipline, time out, or to be taken home.  Two year olds don't share well simply because they are only two and she needs to be taught that hitting in sharing situations isn't appropriate behavior....obviousloy her mother isn't doing her job at teaching her child appropariate behavior...

Bekah062205
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:04 AM

my niece just turned 2 and my dd is 3 and my niece would hit, bite, pull hair and pinch my dd....it was hell(niece was living with me). She would get sent to time out, and then apologize afterwards, but then 5 minutes later, you hear my daughter screaming and crying because my niece has hurt her again. You might want to give it time, or just limit the time spent with the little girl. hope you figure it out soon

onefootcutiepie
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM

LOL. Some kids are hitters more than others. I'm so thankful none of mine were. Well, ok I didn't/don't tolerate it, but I do have one kid who was more likely to hit as a toddler than the others. If he couldn't be kind and gentle (and this is still the rule in our house) then you can't be with other people. It's on your bed you go. In your situation, YOU can ask the child not to hit. Say "we do not hit, don't do that" firmly. It's not rude to ask people not to hit your kid, even if it's someone else's kid, even if it's right in front of the mother. I always do that, no one has ever minded (to my face lol). It works pretty well.

onefootcutiepie
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I just want to add in to think about.....make sure your kids isn't instigating trouble quietly as well. Some kids are sneaky about their obnoxiousnes. I'm sure you're little angel would NEVER do wrong LOL, but make sure she's not teasing and discipline her if she is as well as telling the other child not to hit. It's just as important to learn to not aggravate people as it is to learn to not actually hit people.

nannee59
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

I just want to add in to think about.....make sure your kids isn't instigating trouble quietly as well. Some kids are sneaky about their obnoxiousnes. I'm sure you're little angel would NEVER do wrong LOL, but make sure she's not teasing and discipline her if she is as well as telling the other child not to hit. It's just as important to learn to not aggravate people as it is to learn to not actually hit people.

my granddaughter is like that, i know what she does and so when she tries to blame her brother, i put her in time out. i'm not saying he doesn't do stuff, but he is very passive.  As far as you friend's child. I would suggest that you physically remove her daughter from your daughters space and make her sit for two minutes. that's the rule. the age equals the time. everytime she does that do it. if your friend gets upset than make her do it. oh by the way, the reason parents yell at thier children, it's usually because they are to lazy to get up and take care of the situation.

monshine2
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I'm sure it's a phase...My DD went through it as well but knowing me, I would also open my big mouth and tell that other kid it's not nice ti bite or hit. As a mother it's frustrating and noone wants these things to happen to their child but I bet when yours gets tired of it she'll hit back!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)