Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if this happened to you? Updated....not so hypothetical I guess!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM
  • 24 Replies

Here is a hypathetical question for you all........

What if you were a college graduate, had a very good professional job,  was a confident, social person who felt like they were oin top of everyting.  Then what if due to Tramatic Brain Injury you suddenly could not process information well, could not remember things anymore, could no longer do simple math, struggled to read, and had trouble conversing with others due to not being a ble to understand or formulate what you wanted to say.   What would you do?  How would you feel? How would you cope?  Where would you go from there?

UPDATE!

Thanks for the responses.  The hypothetical ? happened to me.  I have fought like hell and can now type and read some-not books or informational articles.  I can onl read 1 to 2 paragraphs before i can not focus anymore.  I have lost most of my short term memory.  If someone tells me a date, 2 minutes lates it is gone.  I have lost a lot of the memories of the last 3 yrs which includes a lot of memories with my kids.  I had an awesome job, that I just left cus I can not do it anymore do to my processing issues.  I have trouble talking with people in oral conversations ( I do better typing actaully cus I do not have to come up with a response so quickly)  So, socially I have lost most of my friends cus it is hard to even converse with them.  And I struggle to organize everything. 

The reason I asked the hypethetical ? was that I am so tired of people telling me how I should feel and cope with this.  Without the emotions of knowing this actually hgappened to someone, I wanted to hear how you think it would make you feel.

I have worked very hard to get where I am, and continue to work to get better.  But, according to my OT and Speech therapist I have come as far as they expect me to based on the TBI damage that is perminent.  I have applied for SSI but who knows how long that will be .   But, even that will not "fix" things. I try to be upbeat.  But, I am depressed, frusterated and feel alone with it.  And everyone tells me I should just be happy I am here and that I did not die during my illness and coma.  And while I agree I am lucky to be here.  I feel unless you are in the situation you can not tell me how to feel.

Anyway thanks for the perspective!  It was helpful!

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu 30 days in a medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

Worried about the swine flu? Join us:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/H1N1swineflu

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itscool2recycle
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:46 PM

i would probably want to die. I know that sounds morbid but thats how i would truly feel, whether i got through it somehow or not i would initially feel that way.

Brandyh
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM

geez thats a random question...IDK if I had a tramatic brain injury I'd hope my support system was solid

CoeyG
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM

I dont' know, I don't live in hypothetical situations.  I would probably become quite depressed, hopefully I'd have people who cared enough about me to help me relearn what I would need to cope in this world...

annie2244
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:24 AM

What a wierd question. I guess you take it one day at a time and try to find peace with your new situation. Which is what you'd do with whatever multitude of curves life can throw at you. Life doesn't owe us guarantees. My husband could die tomorrow. I could be diagnosed with MS tomorrow. My child could get in a car accident tomorrow and end up a quad. Stuff happens. The trick is to find joy in the cards you got dealt.

CoeyG
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Very interesting and I can see why they would be laid back...having the brain injury they wouldn't remember ever knowing all of the stuff they knew before anyway.  Hopefully I'd be laid back but I can see myself becoming frustrated in trying to learn something difficult... 

Quoting annie2244:

What a wierd question. I guess you take it one day at a time and try to find peace with your new situation. I am a nurse and used to work the rehab unit at one of the hospitals in town.  Invariably the traumatic brain injury folks were really laid back after their accident, not depressed or anxious about their diminished capacities. Perhaps that is part of the brain injury, and if so, it's a blessing.

momof2little1s
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Not really random.....I have delt with this and I wanted to know how people that they would deal with it without having the bias of knowing it did happen to someone.

Quoting Brandyh:

geez thats a random question...IDK if I had a tramatic brain injury I'd hope my support system was solid

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu 30 days in a medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

LokisMama
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I think it would depend on whether or not I could remember my previous capabilities. 

p88hbear
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:03 AM

The brain is a muscle that requires exercise just like any other muscle in your body.  I would seek out a professional for some assistance in creating a rehabilitation plan so I could take the first steps in getting back to my former self.

As far as feeling and coping - it does no one any good to wallow in self pity.  Get up, shake it off and move forward.  We all know it sucks and it isn't ideal but life never is - what you make out of what you have is the important part.

free logo - http://www.sparklee.com

momof2little1s
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Does not work like that when you have perminent damage to your brain.  Many TBI conditions (like mine) are irreversible!  And insurance for rehibilitation will only pay for so much and once they determine you can not progress anymore they drop ya!

Quoting p88hbear:

The brain is a muscle that requires exercise just like any other muscle in your body.  I would seek out a professional for some assistance in creating a rehabilitation plan so I could take the first steps in getting back to my former self.

As far as feeling and coping - it does no one any good to wallow in self pity.  Get up, shake it off and move forward.  We all know it sucks and it isn't ideal but life never is - what you make out of what you have is the important part.

p88hbear
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:23 AM

So prove them wrong - get up and do... don't sit there and be complacent with what someone tells you.  You have the tools, all you  have to do is apply it.  No one said it would be easy but the level of effort you are willing to put into it will dictate the level of reward you get out of it.

Start with children's books and learn to read all over again.  Simple exercises on a daily basis that get progressively more challenging... it doesn't require insurance, just determination.

Quoting momof2little1s:

Does not work like that when you have perminent damage to your brain.  Many TBI conditions (like mine) are irreversible!  And insurance for rehibilitation will only pay for so much and once they determine you can not progress anymore they drop ya!

Quoting p88hbear:

free logo - http://www.sparklee.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)