Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you cut your son's hair?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM
  • 25 Replies

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to try? 

I bought a Wahl clipper set but now that I'm home I'm nervous about actually doing it. I know it's just hair and obviously it will grow even if I totally eff it up but any tips would be awesome.

My boys are 4 1/2 and almost 3. 

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I have 4 boys and I have always wanted to be able to cut their hair. It would save me so much money.  When they were young, I would totally buzz their heads with clippers on occasion, but never actually did a style of any sort.  I wish I could.

SassyPainter
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:30 AM

I thread my fingers through his (2yr old) hair vertically and cut it all about the same length, a little higher than the thickness of my fingers.  (Don't cut it horizontally, or you will have choppiness)  Then I trim the "side burns," even out the back, and make sure the bangs are fairly even.  I have gotten pretty good at it and I was also intimidated at first.  You can do it :)

onefootcutiepie
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I do, but I have no idea how to tell you over CM :) Maybe find a youtube video?

valorie59
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

I do, but I have no idea how to tell you over CM :) Maybe find a youtube video?

I didn't think of that! Thanks!

tatar
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I do...I learned from youtube lol

fattypatty
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:45 AM

My bother always clips my nephew's hair and it turns out fine. He buzzes it all off for the Summer.

Just go slow and tell the boys to hold completely still. Put in a movie to distract them.

Good luck!

earthgoddess669
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I shave my son's head, not completely bald though.

Pandana
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I've always cut my sons' ahir. He's 2 and a half now. I'm afraid to take him to a salon to get it cut because 90% of the kids I see walk out have one of a few haircuts. The all-over short cut (basically a longer version of a buzz, with no distinct style at all.....which anyone can do at home anyway LOL), the classic "bowl cut", or what I like to call the "Dumb and Dumber cut"....the dorky one where they just cut it straight across the forehead, straight across at the neck and then trim it off the ears....so it looks like a longer version of Jim Carey's hair in Dumb and Dumber LOL. Not my favorite look.

I get creative with Lucius' hair haha. I like to trim it shorter on the sides, over the ears, but leave it pretty long on the top. Then I comb it straight up and trim it at an angle to get that soft taper, that way it doesn't come out with the mushroom poof that a straight across cut will have. I do the same thing in the front so that it falls more naturally and isn't so angular. Sometimes I leave the back center a little long too. So it's not REALLY a mohawk, but it has that same cute boyish look. It kind of look like a mini-skater cut haha. I think it's so much more fun than a typcial salon cut.

Have fun with it. They move around so much that even if it's imperfect, no one notices. My son's is never perfect, but no one ca tell. He get s compliments on his haircuts ALL the time. It's easier than you'd think!

Susan0805
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:58 AM

I cant stand my son to have short hair! I tried to get his hair cut with clippers last time and he freaked out! But he is only 16 months. Maybe since your boys are older they will be fine.

valorie59
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:12 AM

I've thought about letting it grow out long, but with my younger son, I want it shorter so I can slather his head in sunscreen. He has fine, blond hair and his scalp is going to burn if I don't put something on it. My older son just doesn't look good with it longer, I think. Much better short.

Quoting Susan0805:

I cant stand my son to have short hair! I tried to get his hair cut with clippers last time and he freaked out! But he is only 16 months. Maybe since your boys are older they will be fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)