Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The mother knew what PCP smelled like......

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:40 AM
  • 7 Replies

For some reason, that part of this story stuck out to me.... the mother knew what PCP smelled like, lol.  Oy...

Glad the kiddos will be OK!  How scary to find that in a playground.... if it was found in a playground.  Call me a skeptic, but.... the mother knew what PCP smelled like..... can't seem to shake that, lol.  I mean, how often do kids find a drug "at a playground" that the parents are so familiar with that they can ID it by smell?  Odd to me, I guess.

Am I just overly suspicious or does anyone else think that maybe... just maybe.... these kids didn't find PCP at a playground and may have found it at home?  I know some 7 year old supposedly gave it to them, but.... I dunno.  Just seems strange to me.  I swear I'm not usually a finger pointer, lol.



Two Kennydale Elementary students were hospitalized Thursday after ingesting PCP after school, Renton police said.

The Renton Police Department got a call about 7:45 p.m. that two 8-year-old cousins were at Valley Medical Center after one of their parents became concerned they had ingested some kind of drug.

Once in the hospital, the physicians ran several tests, and it was confirmed both children had consumed PCP, the drug phencyclidine, a white crystalline powder that is readily soluble in water.

A Valley Medical Center physician told Renton police at 9:30 p.m. that the two children were expected to be "OK." Both were at home recovering Friday, said Randy Matheson, executive director of community relations for the Renton School District.

The children were taken to the hospital after the mother found an empty glass vial in one child's pocket. She told police the cousins had consumed liquid that had been inside. She also said she had smelled the vial and thought it smelled like PCP.

The cousins told police a 7-year-old had given them the vial. When police talked to the child, the boy said that he had found it in a playground and did not know what it contained.

Questions on content

Police asked the cousins about the contents of the vial, and they described it as full of "yellow liquid." One 8-year-old told police he had poured half the bottle onto his hand, and then licked it. The other 8-year-old said he then drank the remaining liquid

Police could not confirm the exact playground where the vial was found or whether the child brought it onto school grounds.

"My understanding now is that the kids found it at a park and it has nothing to do with the school," Matheson, of the school district, said.

Awaiting information

He said the school district is waiting to hear more from police, but the district likely will follow-up by mailing a letter home to parents and directing teachers to spend time talking to students about safety.

Terri Vickers, the Renton Police Department public-information officer, said reports involving PCP are rare.

"There are certainly drugs everywhere; there's no question about that," she said. "PCP is not one that we see very often."

Vickers said Renton police see marijuana, methamphetamine and OxyContin much more frequently than PCP.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012094026_pcp12m.html

_______________________________________________


_______________________________________________

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sunfreezeinmi
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:47 AM

Doesn't make it all that suspicious to me...I've seen/smelled a lot of different drugs..doesn't mean I do them myself.

mamapaparazzi
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:57 AM

If it was a drug other than the relatively rare (as said by the article) PCP, I wouldnt' bat an eye, really...

Quoting sunfreezeinmi:

Doesn't make it all that suspicious to me...I've seen/smelled a lot of different drugs..doesn't mean I do them myself.


_______________________________________________


_______________________________________________

glitterteaz
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:34 AM

 Could of been a former drug using mom too. When I was a teen I found and intercepted drugs that were in sealed straws that the main drug manufacturers were floating down the creek beds behind the houses to the dealers I had no idea what they were but a friend dad did (he was a former user)

mamapaparazzi
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Could be.  Or maybe a former cop or a former chemical dependence worker.... it's definitely possible.

Quoting glitterteaz:

 Could of been a former drug using mom too. When I was a teen I found and intercepted drugs that were in sealed straws that the main drug manufacturers were floating down the creek beds behind the houses to the dealers I had no idea what they were but a friend dad did (he was a former user)


_______________________________________________


_______________________________________________

glitterteaz
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:40 AM

 Apparently, I had found heroin, meth and cocaine good thing I wasn't one for trying crap I didnt know what it was... I just couldn't figure out why there was sealed different colored straws were doing in the creek bed I jumped over on the way to school it was weird!

ToxicIrishLove
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:32 AM
My fiance was a former correctional officer at a prison,and a druggie. He knows what drugs are what and I'm glad. Because then we will know if our kid or our kids friend is using. Plus I know the smell of pot(ima smoker) and beer(drinker)and what certain drugs smell like. My mom used to be a druggie. So the mom knowing what it smelled like isn't suspicious to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I don't find it odd that the parent knew. It's our job to know alot more than kids. We would both know because of previous jobs. What sticks out to me is that a 7 & 8 year old are just (supposedly) picking up unknown things and licking and drinking it. Don't we teach our kids not to do that? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)