Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Early Birthday Party? What Do You Think?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:48 AM
  • 6 Replies

So my dd's birthday is in July and school gets out in June.  She has autism (high functioning) and has really struggled socially.  This year she has made BIG gains in her 1st year of preschool.  She now has many friends and is very proud of herself for having them.  So, I really wanted as many kid as as possible to be able to go to her party.  And growing up I had a summer birthday that was after school got out for the year and I NEVER had anybody come to it.  So, I decided to do it a month early so more of her friends would come.  So her birthday is July 10th and I am doing her party today June 13th for the kids in her class .   And it worked cus all but 2 kids are coming!

Well,my baby Molly will be 1 yr on June 19th, so we have having a HUGE family party for Lilly and Molly on Lilly's real birthday July 10th.  And Lilly LOVEs the idea of celebrating her real birthday with Molly.  And of course being 1 Molly does not know she is sharing!

It all made sense to me but many people especially my SIL and MIL think it is silly and weird and too confusing for my Lilly.  What do you all think?  Would you have done it like this?  is it confusing.  Obviously I can not change things now, so I am just curious!

Thanks!

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bamababe1975
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

My girls' bdays are just a month apart - April 19 and May 22, so for family and friends' sakes, we often have a joint celebration for the both of them during the end of April or first of May. Not only does it spare family and friends from back-to-back trips, it also eliminates the jealousy of whoever's bday it isn't when the one whose bday it is starts ripping into gifts. ;)

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM

My two are very close in age and birthdays, so we celebrate together and will continue to until they tell us different. LOL!

I think it's fine, for now. She might change her mind as she gets older.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

roxy85
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM

You say your daughter is high-functioning so explaining that you had a party for all her friends during school and now she's having a party with her sister for family shouldn't lead to confusion. It would be more confusing IMO for you to have a party on her actual birthday where she isn't celebrated.

silvercrow
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM

try having my mother and 1 daughters birthday aug 13th my So's Aug 28th with his father and another daughters birthday on aug 24th my brothers birday on the 25th and my aunts on the 10th.. We throw 1Huge Party and call it a win.. i say if it works go with it

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I would do it.  My dd is 16 and we had her party a month ago and she turned 16 in January.  You can celebrate whenever.  I say do it and have a fun time with her preschool friends. 

Ajanee12
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM

well kains birthday is the 22nd of august and im due the 20th. my kids are going to share parties :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)