Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my child 'technologically challenged?' (piog)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

My DD is 5. She's going into Kindergarden at the same Montessori Preschool she's been in for the last 2 years. She's really smart, testing into 1st grade already.

But I see posts on here all the time about 3-4-5 year olds who can use computers, video games, etc. My DD can't use a mouse on a computer, we've tried and she just doesn't get it. She doesn't play video games. We have a Wii and she could not figure out how to play the bowling game on it. The only hand held game she has is a princess game from Kohl's, and there are only on, off, and arrow buttons, and she rarely plays it.

I know her hand eye coordination is ok. She can ride a bike, tie her shoes, do buttons and snaps etc. She can hit a baseball with a bat and write.

I'm afraid that she's behind other kids in that area. Are there other kids her age that can't do those things, or am I holding her back in today's technological world by her not knowing how to do them?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kavp84
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:53 PM

My kids aren't so good at the video games, but that's because I very rarely let them play. :P

As for computers... I don't let my kids use my laptop, but once they hit kindergarten the schools had computer labs for the kids to use. Gabe and Ash are great at computers now... thanks to the school.

So don't worry about it... she'll be FINE. :D

ETA: I'm talking about my 7.5 and my 6 year old.

“If we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people to not kill each other? Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want.”

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM

My youngest was 3 when we got our very first computer and she played games on the computer back then even. 

zoeysmom331
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I'm wondering if part of it is my fault. We don't play video games and she never asks to play them. And she never asks to play on the computer either.

mom2aprincess08
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM

i think kavp84 is  right but my kids  grew up  holding a mouse  we are  a bunch of geek my SO more then mee but my ten  yr dd plays  halo with her dad  and i could  figure it out she  kilss me  every time .lol.. My 5 yr dd  can school you  in hello kitty and  barbi games lol

Quoting kavp84:

My kids aren't so good at the video games, but that's because I very rarely let them play. :P

As for computers... I don't let my kids use my laptop, but once they hit kindergarten the schools had computer labs for the kids to use. Gabe and Ash are great at computers now... thanks to the school.

So don't worry about it... she'll be FINE. :D

ETA: I'm talking about my 7.5 and my 6 year old.

magenl
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:59 PM
Maybe it's just not her thing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:06 AM

My daughter was on the computer when she was 3 . . . it was weird how easily she knew what to do with the mouse.

But my boys had no experience when they were 5 because we didn't have a computer they could use at the same.  But they caught up quickly.

I wouldn't worry about it.  She'll catch on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)