Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

boob help!!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM
  • 5 Replies

hi. i just had my second baby and am a first time breast feeder...well...pumper.

ive been at it for just over a week and my question is:

is it normal that i get 4 oz out of the right and 1 oz out of the left?

i thought maybe i had a clogged duct so i tried hot compress, massage, cabbage leaves.

does anyone else have this problem?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
abc04789f
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM

i think that is normal... if it gets to be a bigger difference i would call the dr. or your lactation consultant.

sunshine86912
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I was told that one side normally produces more than the other side.  you would know if you have a clogged duct though, its painful! and thats A LOT of milk for just one time I was only getting an oz or so out of each side, so I wouldnt think you had much to worry about.

I believe though if you are truly concerned about the different you should let the baby nurse, or if you are only pumping, then pump longer on the side the produces less, it should help up its production.  (I havent done this in over 2 years lol but I am pretty sure that is what they told me!  maybe someone with more knowledge can back me up, or fix it lol)

jules_42588
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM

thanks ladies! im not as worried now!!

V.Dubbya
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I almost always got mismatched quantities. 4 and 3. 4 and 2. etc. It's normal.  It was rare they were both the same or close... and I pumped for over a year for both my DD's with the same results. No worries Mama!

NearSeattleMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)