Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8-Year-Old Removed From Class for Using Olive Oil Hair Product

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM
  • 287 Replies

8-Year-Old Removed From Class for Using Olive Oil Hair Product

By Ruth Manuel-Logan on Jun 7th 2010 10:09AM

VIDEO

A Seattle writer is angry beyond words, because late last month his 8-year-old child was removed from her honors elementary school class. No, the child did not misbehave. Instead, the little girl was guilty of using a hair moisturizer that allegedly annoyed her Caucasian teacher. Now the NAACP has joined the angry dad in filing a complaint against the child's school.

Charles Mudede, the father, claims that the school administrators at Thurgood Marshall Elementary initially moved his child out of her honors classroom, placing her in a hallway and then, ultimately, moved her to another classroom. Why?

Because the child's teacher stated that she was allergic to the smell of the olive oil moisturizing hair lotion that the little girl used, Organic Root Stimulator (pictured below).

8-Year-Old Removed From Class For Using Olive Oil Hair Produc

Mudede's daughter, who is biracial, is an honor's student and the only child of color in her grade's accelerated program.

After the teacher complained about her hair grease, though, the child was permanently placed in a classroom with predominantly African American children who were academically not on par.

The child's parents were never even contacted about the matter.

Bellen Drake, the child's mother, tells
Seattle's King 5 News:

"I couldn't comprehend it. I was really try to make sense of it and that took a while. My daughter kept saying that she was afraid and it's your hair and that she could come into her class to get her work, then go to another class for the rest of the day."

The family contacted the NAACP, and the organization has taken the reins on this case by filing a formal complaint with the U.S. Department of Education. The civil rights organization says that the incident has "less to do about hair and more to do with how the whole situation was handled."

Mudede and his wife have also decided to hire an attorney. Until the matter is settled, Mudede writes in his blog,
The Stranger:

"We decided not to send our daughter to school until the teacher had medical proof that our daughter's hair or something in her hair was to blame for the nausea. (The last thing you want to happen to your daughter is for a teacher to faint or vomit at the mere sight of her.) Days passed and the school took no action. This unresponsiveness left us with no other choice than to turn to a lawyer. The whole thing is a mess. Getting entangled in a racial dilemma is something most black parents do not want for their children. It's just not worth the trouble. Then again, like I said, if not checked and confronted, the incident will have permanent consequences for my child."

In a statement, the school district told King 5 News:

"We're concerned and we're looking into it. Our priority is to get the child back in school."

Do you think school administrators had the right to remove the child from her class?

When
someone insults you think about this: it takes 49 muscles to frown, 17
to smile, but only 4 to reach up and backhand the ass hole.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Heck no they did not have the right to remove the child from her class! It is so hard to believe that people can be so ignorant. The teacher or administration didn't even notify the parents of the problem? I'm sure the parents would have changed hair product if given an option.

What a crock if you know what I mean.

LaJoanna
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I heard of this story I think it's rediculous she could have opened the window or spoken to her parents with the principle she has no right to kick her out of class!

valorie59
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM

If the fragrance of her hair stuff was a problem for the teacher's allergies then yeah, take her out IF she has it in her hair. BUT contact the parents and let them know the stuff is too strong and causing an allergic reaction. If the parents won't comply and stop using a product that they've been told makes people sick, then her daughter would HAVE to be moved. Strong fragrances can make me ill sometimes too, especially if I'm stuck in a room with them.  I don't think it was right for the family to request "medical proof" that their daughter's hair stuff was the problem, if it has a strong fragrance they'd know that as well as the teacher or anyone and saying "prove it" is just being assholes. 

I don't think it's a racial issue at all. 

valorie59
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Quoting Shellness:

Heck no they did not have the right to remove the child from her class! It is so hard to believe that people can be so ignorant. The teacher or administration didn't even notify the parents of the problem? I'm sure the parents would have changed hair product if given an option.

They didn't though. They were told it the teacher was allergic and they said they wanted medical proof. 

erimar2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I use the same product and it does not have a smell! The teacher is on dog food! she needs to be remove for being dumb!

Quoting valorie59:

If the fragrance of her hair stuff was a problem for the teacher's allergies then yeah, take her out IF she has it in her hair. BUT contact the parents and let them know the stuff is too strong and causing an allergic reaction. If the parents won't comply and stop using a product that they've been told makes people sick, then her daughter would HAVE to be moved. Strong fragrances can make me ill sometimes too, especially if I'm stuck in a room with them.  I don't think it was right for the family to request "medical proof" that their daughter's hair stuff was the problem, if it has a strong fragrance they'd know that as well as the teacher or anyone and saying "prove it" is just being assholes. 

When
someone insults you think about this: it takes 49 muscles to frown, 17
to smile, but only 4 to reach up and backhand the ass hole.

Shellness
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Quoting valorie59:

Quoting Shellness:

They didn't though. They were told it the teacher was allergic and they said they wanted medical proof. 

Yes but this was after the child was removed without the school even contacting the parents about the problem. I'd get a little nasty at that point too. Have YOU ever smelled this product? I have.

MarShy740
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM

No not for that reason thats total crap she should of warned the students a head of time

Jessymessy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM

i'm allergic to strawberries to the point that if a child touched me after eating one I would develop a rash, and even then I was not allowed to say: do not bring strawberries. Instead all I could do is be sure the kids did not touch me unless they washed their hands. 

I think it is seriously hard to believe she is allergic to that fragerence but if she REALLY IS, then there is a much better way to have gone about it. I do believe it is a racial thing and I believe the teacher SHOULD get in trouble. even if she is allergic to it, i STILL think it is a racial thing bbecause you know what? IT IS EASY to ask a parent to do something for yu. it is unfair for a girl to be removed from her class where she is missing out on her education because the teacher couldnt call the parent

Quoting valorie59:

sunshine86912
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM

remove her from the class until the parents could be contacted and had a discussion about the problem of the hair product..YES, removed permenetly? NO!  She can change hair products, honors is important!

sunshine86912
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM

does everything have to be about race?  Not everyone is racist, did the teacher handle it correctly? no, but that doesnt mean shes racist!  She should have just asked the parents about changing the hair product, or talked with the principal if she was that uncomfortable talking to the parents, but I would like to think its not about race.

Quoting Jessymessy:

i'm allergic to strawberries to the point that if a child touched me after eating one I would develop a rash, and even then I was not allowed to say: do not bring strawberries. Instead all I could do is be sure the kids did not touch me unless they washed their hands. 

I think it is seriously hard to believe she is allergic to that fragerence but if she REALLY IS, then there is a much better way to have gone about it. I do believe it is a racial thing and I believe the teacher SHOULD get in trouble. even if she is allergic to it, i STILL think it is a racial thing bbecause you know what? IT IS EASY to ask a parent to do something for yu. it is unfair for a girl to be removed from her class where she is missing out on her education because the teacher couldnt call the parent

Quoting valorie59:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)