Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Suspended because the students wanted to wear...........

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM
  • 75 Replies
Teacher Suspended for Making Students Dress Up as KKK Members

A teacher in North Georgia may lose her job after asking four of her students to wear Ku Klux Klan outfits as part of a class project. The black students at her school were upset to see the costumes and complained to the administration.

Catherine Ariemma, an award-winning teacher who teaches advanced U.S. history and film education, could be either suspended or fired for the incident and has been placed on administrative leave pending the results of an investigation

Do you think she is wrong?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samthecat001
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:54 PM

what was her purpose?
can you post links to the whole story.

college.mom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:54 PM

I completely think she was in the wrong.

CoeyG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM

And they school board hired her out of what insane asylum?

aprilmommy2007
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I dont care what it was for, that is just plain wrong on so many different levels

sineado39
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Quoting samthecat001:

what was her purpose?

toniojr1
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM
Hmm yea I am I don't think she should of had them dress up like the kkk. They could of did the project some other way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erimar2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM

erimar2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM

http://www.bvblackspin.com/2010/05/25/teacher-makes-students-dress-up-as-kkk-members/

Quoting samthecat001:

what was her purpose?

samthecat001
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM

well... based on that i dont think she should be fired.

and your title says it wrong..she didnt MAKE them dress up .. THEY CHOSE to dress up as part of a scene in a film they chose to make for a calls assignment that they were making on the topic of racism - also a CHOSEN topic.

Quoting erimar2:

“You seen my cell phone?...What’s it look like? Like two horses fucking. It’s a phone, son. It looks like a phone." Justins dad

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM

No, I directed the Diary of Anne Frank as apart of the drama department here in GA.  During dress rehearsal I had students walking to lunch in the costume, which included Nazi Soldiers.  No one was upset about this.  In fact, one of my students playing a solider was Jewish. 

She was doing a FILM!!!  I think it is ashamed that a teacher who is doing AMAZING things with here students is being punished for her work.  Seriously, it makes me scared to do anything anymore...

I had students creating PSA's for teen issues...I had students filming around the school pretending to be drunk, stealing a car, and throwing away a baby.  Its acting! 

She has apologized for letting the kids go to lunch, but not about teaching about the KKK and the history of their movement.  She was teaching AGAINST IT!  She was not promoting etc.  It seems like anyone who teaches anything is at risk.  I was accused of being Wiccan because I taught the Witch of Blackbird Pond. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)